Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atg13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I am going to Japan, and planning to use an IPOD Touch to wifi email.

Was thinking about renting over there. Anyone know about renting one there?

Where? etc. etc

Thx

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Please be aware that there are minimal free WiFi hot-spots around Japan. It's not like the states.

As for renting, I have no idea where you could rent an iPod Touch. Maybe someone else can chime in on this issue.

How long are you going to be in Japan? Where will you be?

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
I would agree that the number of WiFi locations is pretty low. You would be better off going to an internet cafe. They are all over the place and are fairly cheap.

atg13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
two weeks in Japan

Sushi;

Thanks.

My wife and I are going to Japan for about 2 weeks, August 13.

Mostly Kyoto and Tokyo, Going to be in Kyoto for Oban.

Want to hang out, visit some temples, eat a lot, etc, etc. Always wanted to go, so we are going. Any ideas for places to go are welcomed. We like good food and friendly people. Like to get an idea of the culture and history. Also was thinking of checking out some sumo, but it not the right time. Want to practice my extremely limited Japanese too.

Thanks for the McDonalds idea, sounds good. Need to stay in touch with the business here. How does the fee base work? Credit Card?

Thanks again

ofiaich

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Hi,

I think everywhere will be busy for O-bon ( お盆 )

Kyoto, you can visit Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, Kiyomizudera, Sanjuusangendou Hall.
Fushimi Inari, Nijo Castle, plus other temples and shrines, and a little way out from the centre, Arashiyama and Oohara, are interesting.

There is also covered market area, perhaps not so far from Gion Corner, with many varieties of goods!

If you can, visit some Izakaya as well as other styles of restaurant, such as Kaitenzushi.

Tokyo is ok, Yokohama had an interesting Chinatown ( Yes, I know a strange suggestion when you are going to Japan! ), Hakone Onsen is not so far from Tokyo and an overnight stay in a Ryokan is excellent, I feel.

I like Shinjuku, but some may feel it is dangerous at times. I think not! I just use my common sense! Tokyo also has Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Asakusa , Ginza and other interesting places.

Most of my friends do not bother with Akihabara so much, because they feel they can get just as good bargains in other electrical stores.

Give a big smile when your finger print is taken! The person in front of me didn't and he complained !

Hope you have a great time !!

Ofiaich :)

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
I don't know about places in Tokyo as I spent most of my time that I was in Japan in Kansai. If you are going to be in Kyoto there are lots of temples and shines to see. If you want to get out of Kyoto there are a lot of interesting places only a short train ride away. Nara is a pretty cool place, deer walking all over, giant Buddha, some nice museums. Osaka is not that far either. You can get some authentic okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) or takoyaki (たこ焼き). If you are willing to travel a little bit further Kobe is really nice. It's a very clean and "stylish" city.

If you are going by shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto then a couple of stops after Kyoto is Shin-Osaka and followed by Shin-Kobe. The shinkansen will of course be the quickest but must expensive way to travel. You can easily get from Kyoto to Osaka to Kobe either by regular JR or Hankyu lines. Have a great trip!

ofiaich

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Hi!

If you intend to use the Shinkansen a lot, then check out the JR Rail Pass.

For one or two trips, maybe it is not good value but for a lot of Shinkansen and JR-Line use, then it is very good!

here for information

Ofiaich :)

atg13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
A lot to digest... Thank you all. Now I am going to do a little homework, to make a plan. Dig out the books, etc. Will probably have more questions, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.