Renting Movies

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daviddcmd, Jul 29, 2010.

1. daviddcmd macrumors member

I'l be on a long flight tomorrow and would like to buy/rent a couple of movies off Itunes. Question, when rented is the movie resident on the Ipad or does it stream.

TIA

2. kaiak macrumors member

When you rent movies (whether on the iPad or iTunes through your computer and sync them to your iPad), they remain on the iPad resident until the time is up. I rented several movies on a 12 hour car trip recently, and it worked beautifully. :)

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

4. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

You'd be better off going to a video store, renting a few DVDs and ripping them to itunes and then transfer them to you iPad.

Once you transfer them to your ipad you can have as much time as you need to watch them.

Renting from itunes store lets you have the rental for 30days but once you start watching it you have 48hrs to watch it as many times as you'd like in that 2 day period. After 48hrs it will not load any longer.

5. daviddcmd thread starter macrumors member

6. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

It's too late to rip and decode several movies for iPad considering that he is leaving tomorrow. He won't have enough time especially if he's not familiar causing a learning curve (even less time). He's better off renting from iTunes at this point.

US rentals are only 24 hours after they start watching.

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

"Rent a movie and you have 30 days to start watching it. Hit Play, and you have 24 hours to finish it — or watch it as many times as you want."

24 hours, not 48 hours.

8. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

48 hours in Canada...too bad for you USA types.

I use Handbrake to get the DVDs ripped over. I watched a YouTube video and had the whole process up and running in about 10min.

It takes about 45min for my iMac or MBP to encode a full-length dvd and only about 8min for a tv episode like The simpsons etc..

I can even surf the net or use iTunes while it is ripping. So in one night I could easily get 4 or 5 movies on my iPad or MacBook no problems.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

it depends on video quality at 64% it takes my mac mini anywhere between 1.5 to 3 hours. I finally got ripit that takes 30 minutes or less then I do a batch in handbrake while I sleep.