Reoccurring Console Error Caused by Vodafone Device

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Plat-O, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Plat-O macrumors newbie

Hi All,

This particular problem has been discussed in other threads, so sorry for the rehash. But after a lot of research I’ve not yet been able to find an answer to resolve my problem.

Background:

I have a mid 2010 27inch iMac, i7 processor, 8gig RAM, 1tb HD which is bootcamped. HD under OSX is approx. 890 gig with approx. 640 gig free.

I’ve been having a few performance niggles of late, on a couple of occasions I have received the “Start up disk is full” message, and iTunes is loading very slowly at times. I have used Onyx to perform some basic clean up.

Current Issue:

Looking in console I have found a reoccurring error that is related to a Vodafone device. I have previously used a Vodafone USB 3G modem and after removing the software drivers it appears it has left software on my Mac that is proving very hard to remove.

Below is the console message which repeats approx. every ten seconds.

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: (de.novamedia.VodafoneDeviceObserver[342]) Exited with code: 251
    com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: (de.novamedia.VodafoneDeviceObserver) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

I’m not sure if it is related to my performance issues, though fairly suspicious it is. But basically it shouldn’t be there and I want it gone!

Here is what I have tried so far. All of these steps are suggestions that I have found on the inter-net.

• Reinstalled Vodafone software and used the uninstall associated with software
    • Reinstalled Vodafone software and used the application AppCleaner to try and remove it
    • Checked in the Library
    o Library > Application Support
    o Library > LauchAgents
    o Library > Preferences
    o Under Application Support and Preferences I found items relating to de.novamedia.VodafoneDeviceObserver and subsequently removed them
    • At the terminal used the command launhctl list, and then launchctl remove de.novamedia.VodafoneDeviceObserver
    o This proved partially successful, the error stopped appearing in the Console, however after restarting the Mac, it started again.

So hopping someone has come across this before and can suggest a solution. Any help will be massively appreciated!

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software like AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. Plat-O thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJstudios.

I had partially already done what you suggested but perhaps not so methodically. However I followed your instructions and I was able to find more components of the app. The Vodafone software is quite insidious and there are parts of it spread far and wide.

I think I pretty much have it all now, however I continue to get console errors relating to it. Though a slightly different error this time.

com.apple.launchd: (de.novamedia.nmnetmgrd[579]) posix_spawn("/usr/sbin/nmnetmgrd", ...): No such file or directory
    com.apple.launchd: (de.novamedia.nmnetmgrd[579]) Exited with code: 1
    com.apple.launchd: (de.novamedia.nmnetmgrd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Any further suggestions?

Cheers