Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
hello, i'm having trouble with the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option when going to shut down or restart my MacBook Pro .. I make sure to check the box to enable this option, yet none of my folders staying open! If I have internet pages open, they remain open and will reload to whatever page in my Google Chrome, but it would be a lot more useful if I could have all of my open folders in "Finder" stay open .. It looks like I am running Mavericks "OS X 10.9.4", which should be the newest version (I ran "software update" and checked) .. Does anybody have a fix for how I can keep all of my open folders, well.. open? lol

Thanks!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
hello, i'm having trouble with the "Reopen windows when logging back in" option when going to shut down or restart my MacBook Pro .. I make sure to check the box to enable this option, yet none of my folders staying open! If I have internet pages open, they remain open and will reload to whatever page in my Google Chrome, but it would be a lot more useful if I could have all of my open folders in "Finder" stay open .. It looks like I am running Mavericks "OS X 10.9.4", which should be the newest version (I ran "software update" and checked) .. Does anybody have a fix for how I can keep all of my open folders, well.. open? lol

Thanks!
I have not experienced your problem, my finder windows stay open.

But have you tried simply putting your machine to sleep instead of shutting it down? Saves a boatload of time and everything is as your left it.

I pretty much never shut down my machine except for updates and bootcamp.

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
I have not experienced your problem, my finder windows stay open.

But have you tried simply putting your machine to sleep instead of shutting it down? Saves a boatload of time and everything is as your left it.

I pretty much never shut down my machine except for updates and bootcamp.

I have not tried this, but I am pretty opposed to it, in all honesty. I work as an electronic music producer full-time, so my MacBook Pro's running pretty much 18 hours a day, working pretty hard. I try to give it a full-shutdown every night to not overwork/overheat it, and plus, it seems to run cleaner after giving it full-shutdown hours every night.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have not tried this, but I am pretty opposed to it, in all honesty. I work as an electronic music producer full-time, so my MacBook Pro's running pretty much 18 hours a day, working pretty hard. I try to give it a full-shutdown every night to not overwork/overheat it, and plus, it seems to run cleaner after giving it full-shutdown hours every night.

Whether shutdown for 2mins or 2 days would make no difference, off is off. The effort to startup and shutdown far exceeds the effort to sleep though so your logic is flawed in terms of any notional "not overworking it".

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

No such thing for a machine to work "hard".

I run my MacBook Pro, current and former machines, at 100% CPU with max fans for more then 4-5 days straight without any breaks and that would be going on for weeks on end too. System runs like a champ from Day 1 till I sell it, and none of the machines have ever failed due to running it "hard".

A shutdown only clears the cache so it "feels" a bit faster but really it's not worth the shutdown and starting up time.

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
No such thing for a machine to work "hard".

I run my MacBook Pro, current and former machines, at 100% CPU with max fans for more then 4-5 days straight without any breaks and that would be going on for weeks on end too. System runs like a champ from Day 1 till I sell it, and none of the machines have ever failed due to running it "hard".

A shutdown only clears the cache so it "feels" a bit faster but really it's not worth the shutdown and starting up time.

that's the time when i take my morning poo :)

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010

You're fine with putting it to sleep. Computers do not work that way. ;)

alienduck

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
I'm having the same problem. All application windows will stay open, but my finder windows all close. If anyone has found a solution, I'd love to hear it.

benroimola

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
I had the same problem both on OSX10.10 and OS X 10.9. For me the problem was solved when I understood to uncheck the box in
System Preferences -> General -> Close windows when quitting an app.

I guess this is logical as Finder is just one application among others. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.