Reorder Bookmark Folders in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chamster, Dec 23, 2008.

1. chamster macrumors newbie

I'm switching from Windows to Mac (I think). One frustration is that I imported my bookmarks from Internet Explorer into Safari. No problem there. But they are arranged alphabetically, which is of no use to me. I want to organize them with the ones I use most at the top, etc.

So I go to the place where you organize bookmarks and I can drag and drop bookmarks to any position on the list. But when I drag a folder of bookmarks I can't drop it between two other folders (so that it show up between the two). Instead, I can only put the folder inside one of the other folders.

So I've been searching the net and the solution people seem to offer is "drag the folder to the top of the list...". This is ridiculous. This would mean that I would have to plan strategically and first put the folder I want to be at the bottom, at the top, and proceed until lastly I place the one I want at the top. Of course if anywhere along the line I screw up, then I guess you start over again?

Can anybody offer a better solution or is this just one example of very poor planning and counterintuitive user interface on the Mac?

I'm not a Mac devotee yet. I hope to become one based on good things I've heard from others. But am I just supposed to overlook things like this and just drink the cool-aid?

Thanks!

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

If you hold the cursor in (the very small gap) between the 2 folders, you should be able to put it where you want it to go... not sure why its not working for you..

edit: added pic

Attached Files:

3. chamster thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, it's the Bookmarks Bar

Thanks windowpain,

I realize though that what I'm trying to work with is actually the Bookmarks Bar, which shows up as a collection. So all I have on the left is "Bookmarks Bar" with the folders and bookmarks on the right (sorry no screenshot, I'm not set up to ftp from Mac yet, so can't upload photo). Working with the folders that show up in the list on the right, I can't move one to a place in between two other folders.

The reason I want these bookmarks in the Bookmarks Bar is so that I don't have to do multiple clicks to get to a bookmark. With Internet Explorer, I would almost always leave the "Favorites Bar" open on the left side of the browser window. There I could see all the folders and bookmarks within them. Then when I want to go from one bookmarked page to another (which I do numerous times per session) I can see my bookmarks and just click once to go to one (after, sometimes, expanding the folder that might contain many of the bookmarks...but then that folder stays open and I don't have to expand it again).

The closest thing I can find to this kind of functionality in Safari is the Bookmarks Bar, even though I can only see a few items at a time depending on the width of the window, and the folders, including the folders nested within, have to be expanded each time I want to get to a bookmark.

If there's something I'm missing, please by all means enlighten me. I'm trying to make this switch in large part because of testimonials I've heard that the Mac interface is easier, more efficient, and more intuitive than Windows. So far my experience has been the opposite.

I really don't want to go the route of putting everything in BootCamp and just using my new MacBook Pro to run Windows. I could have bought an IBM that would have done that better for half the price. :(

Thanks!

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Hi champster.

Sorry if I'm way off on this, but are you after an 'always open' bookmark list down the left hand side of the screen? (I think thats what explorer uses, I don't have a lot of experience with it..)

The only thing I can think of is in this pic. but then you still need to click to open the link each time..you can have folders within folders though.

Hmm, You could just leave the bookmark menu page open in one tab. And when you click on the link to open it have it open in a new tab.

Attached Files: