reorganizing footage in a minidv tape

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zoran, May 23, 2010.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

My video footage is scattered in 2-3 tapes and i want to arrange them all in one. I was thinking to capture them in my PowerBookG4 via iMovieHD (6.0.3) and then record back all the footage (captured video) in the sequence i want, to one tape...
    Is this possible and how?

p.s.
    Note that i want to capture and write back to the tape the uncompressed dv format and not mpeg.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes this can be done...
    Put your clips on the timeline, then select all of it and click Export
    Then one of the export icons at the top left is "Videocamera".
    Make sure you have a blank tape in the camera and it is in VTR mode, and then click "share"

Hope this helps!

( If I were you I would still keep the original tapes somewhere though. )

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

How do i place clips on the time line?
    Not exactly sure if you understand what i want to do, but i want first to capture to disk the footage and then write them on a tape so that all clips are in one tape.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes I understand what you want to do. Did you not try what I said first?

Capture all of the segments from the tapes you want, using iMovie HD. It will put them as clips on the bin at the right of the screen. Then put them on the timeline in the order you want, then follow the process I outlined to get them back onto a new single tape.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok i understand what you say, i just dont know how you make a capture

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

I hope you don't think I'm rude, but have you read the instructions to your camera, or to iMovieHD?

When you camera is properly connected, you should be able to click on the camera icon, and then use the play, rewind, and fast forward buttons to control your camera. You can also capture your video to disk here.

That's the purpose of iMovie, so if you haven't figured that part out, I think you need to read the instructions.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its really easy. Just made a dvd in about ten minutes. Do you have a newer mac, one that has the video tutorials on them? They are fantastic and you will be up and running in no time. or just go here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/imovie/

watch the tutorial and it will teach you how to do this. Trust me, its really easy!

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi guys, this is what i was thinking of doing:
    1. Make the capture for all the footage i need in files in my hard disk
    2. Then take those clips and write them back in the minidv tapes in the order i want.

I dont want to place the captured files to the minidv tapes using timeline export because i believe that would mean compression and therefore loss of quality. I was just thinking to transfer the dv clips right back to the tapes without any processing. Can this be done?

(Apart from iMovie11 i also have PremiereCS5)

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There is no re-compression done unless you manipulate the clip(s) (such as adding a filter). Even then the amount of re-compression is imperceivable.

Lethal

10. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Hey Zoran. Where have you been for the past year?

You can't export back to a camera with iMovie11, only with iMovie6HD. Don't know about CS5.

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

busy :D

this iMovie11 is rather crappy id say, in what way is it better than the previous version, everyone i ask sais bad things about it?
    maybe i should just use Premiere and stop fiddling with amateur apps

12. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Well it's far better than iMovie8 and 9 for editing audio, and better in some ways than iMovie6 for video editing. Having the video footage in events is OK as it's there for other projects, but if you want to copy a project to transfer to another computer, you've got to copy all the event footage as well, rather than it being in a package file like iMovie6.

I used 6 instead of 8 and 9 but now find myself using 11 most of the time.

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

maybe then i better use Premiere cs5 for what i wanna do, set in and out points, capture the clips i want, and then simply make a rec from those files to the tapes, all through premiere, am i right?

14. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If CS5 can do that, yes, but I've not used it so I don't know if you can export back to camera.

15. bauer5152 macrumors newbie

I also think so.