Repair a 2007 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suse, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Suse macrumors newbie

Hi

I have an old 17" mbp from 2007, 2.4ghz, 2 GB, running 10.6.8, which I haven't used very much for years. Just as a back up. It was going slow and not shutting down properly, which got worse. Then I started not being able to open the Finder. It worked in safe mode but that was more or else it, and I took off anything worth keeping.

I thought this might be worth a bash at repairing myself, as everything else was in seemingly good condition. I don't have much to lose, so I could see it as a learning exercise. So I ran the Apple Hardware test from the original disks, and it came up with a code which from research on the web looks like its the hard drive thats gone. The original Fujitsu MHX2250BT, 250 GB.

However, it came with the nvidia 8600m GT, so I'm wondering if it might be something else like that causing the problem, or the logic board that's gone - would that have shown up in the hardware test?

I now can't run anything like the hardware test as it just shuts off after a couple of minutes.

I could get a s/h exact-same harddrive for less than £20 on ebay - just to see if I could get it going again. And if so, maybe buy a better one afterwards... Are there any other cheap new hard drives it might be worth looking at?

Any advice would be a real help. I obviously don't want to spend a lot on it, just to learn something and give up on it, because its something expensive that's blown. But spending a little in the hope it might work might be worth a try? Any thoughts?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you can't even run AHT from the restore discs, I seriously doubt that it is the HDD.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You could try booting from an external drive with a "fully operating" copy of the OS on it. By "fully operating copy", I mean one from which you can get to the finder, run apps, etc.

If you come to the conclusion that the problem is something other than the hard drive -- that is, a problem with the motherboard, etc. -- probably not worth trying to fix.

After 9 years, it's time for something new (or, at least, "newer" …).