Repair a cracked screen or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ferretguy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ferretguy macrumors newbie

ferretguy

I have a conundrum.

The screen on my iPhone 5 has a small crack on the front bottom right. I can live with that, however I'm due for a phone upgrade in October and will most likely (who am I kidding, I will) get the new iPhone 6 if it's out by then.

In the past I have sold my old phone to help offset the cost of the new one. The conundrum: It will cost me $150.00 to have it repaired. Does anyone have an informed opinion on whether or not I can get $150.00 more for my phone when I resell it with an undamaged screen or is it not worth it. (I understand it's a best guess scenario but I've never sold a phone with a small crack in the screen to have nothing to base it on). TIA

2. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Watch a YouTube tutorial on how to fix it yourself and buy the part on eBay for $40. One of the easiest generations to fix too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-black-R...e_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2a325f2cdd

3. Smith2000 macrumors member

Take a look at eBay for your phone and sort by "ending soonest." That way you'll see the actual prices people are paying for phones.

You'll need to do a search for phones with cracks and then one for ones in good condition.

Keep in mind that when a new phone is officially announced the market of your phone may decrease dramatically.