Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
Hello all,

Recently I've noticed a blemish on my display; primarily noticeable when white is positioned in that area; it's hardly the end of the world but it is irritating now it's known. I've attached an image showing the problem.

I took my Mac into my local Apple Authorized Service Provider and enquired about the display blemish. They noticed a very small dent on the cover of the Mac (also attached, it looks worse in the photo). It's never been dropped nor has anything ever been dropped on it. I wasn't refused service but it was noted; it's not near the display blemish so I can't imagine it's related. Could it be?

Out of curiosity, what is the blemish?

Something else also crossed my mind; the water sensors inside the MacBook Pro. It's never been wet or directly in contact with water however on rainy days it has been in my bag and after pulling it out of my bag it has had some moisture on the top cover (nothing serious just very slightly wet if that makes any sense) - it's not caused from anything getting into my bag; it's water tight - it's likely caused from the cold temperature and humidity. But could this trigger the sensors? It works perfectly and has never had any issues besides this and it would hugely unfortunate to be refused service because of mis-triggered sensors. Would that have affected them?

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Dent -
8oZxl.jpg

Blemish -
8oZxZ.jpg

Last edited:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Tons of retina displays have that.

The retina screen looks amazing. It is new technology. One of the pitfalls with new technology, are new quirks.

You can go through 50 assemblies, there will be something on all of them. If you know what to look for, I can point it out on each one.

There is a good chance of it being because of that dent though. It leaves a mark on the backlight diffusor which causes precisely what you've taken a picture of. Since this is likely a result of physical damage, they won't replace it, unless you scream enough up the ladder for them to break policy for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.