Repair after upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonematt, Mar 6, 2010.

1. iphonematt Guest

Hello fellow MR members!
    My MBP listed in my signature is having keyboard drop-outs fairly regularly even after a reinstall of OS X so my best guess is it needs replaced.
    Anyways, back in the fall I had a friend of mine (who is an Apple certified tech) install a 500GB 7200rpm drive in my system. Now, if I send my system to Apple, will they complain that the drive is in there and not replace the keyboard/topcase if they see that a new non-apple marked hdd has been installed? Would it be best too see if this friend will take out the 500gb drive and re-install the original 200gb drive?
    Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Apple does not care if you have a custom-installed hard drive in there. However, just make sure to tell them when you send the machine off to not touch the hard drive, because they could replace it if they find an issue with it (they test ALL components of the computer during repair).

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I had a similar situation to yours with applecare. I sent the mbp in with the drive in it. They told me one of the problems was with my drive. So they put a free 160 gb drive in as a replacement and mailed my 500 gb drive back with my macbook pro

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

You would be wise to put the original drive back in. Many posters have complained about sending in MacBooks with upgraded HDs and they get them back with a regular apple supplied drive. Same goes for memory.