Repair back in store, waiting for...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OneOfTheGoodGuy, May 10, 2014.

1. OneOfTheGoodGuy macrumors newbie

I had my iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replaced, today is day 11 (they tell you 4-6 days). The Apple repair website gave me a Fedex tracking number which shows my repair is in my local apple store, arrived yesterday morning. So it's been just sitting there for a day. Thinking I could get it, I went in and they turned me away, saying it'll take a few days.

What gives? Can someone explain why it takes so long for them to open a box? Is there anything I can do to speed up this process?

Why would they overnight the box from the repair facility to the store only to have it sit untouched for over a day?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just a question...since you were in the store, why didn't you ask the folks in the store your questions?

3. OneOfTheGoodGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Not wanting to be an annoying pushy customer I suppose. They mentioned that it requires a "tech" and that they have to process it through the system. I imagine that means open the box, type in a serial number, press ok.

4. cynics macrumors G4

5. clarkn macrumors newbie

Yep that was me. If I was in your shoes is be annoying as hell. At the end of the day it is YOUR phone that YOU paid for and they are fixing THEIR issue.

6. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Apple have loaned me an iPhone 5 whilst mine is being repaired, they didn't give me a timeframe on how long the repair would be

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I don't see how replacing the sleep wake button could take days. They replaced the screen (including front camera), and back camera on my 5c and it took half an hour.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Because not all stores can do the repair. It gets sent off to the depot for a repair. Screen swaps can be done in all stores, often while you wait.

As to why the op's phone isn't available, could be any number of reasons:

- They send and receive phones in batches, so it could still be buried in a pallet somewhere
    - It still needs to be processed on the system
    - There was an issue with the repair and a tech needs to look over it

Often stores will just offer a replacement though instead of sending it off for a button swap - but I believe this can only be done whilst the phone is still in warranty. If it's out of warranty, it's a button swap only afaik (though I could be wrong).