Repair charges compared with Apple? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blobby, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Blobby macrumors newbie

I took a dead mac mini that's out of warranty (18 months) to a PC/Mac repair shop. They said probably it's the main board which would be more expensive than buying an new one, but would look on a 'no fix no fee' basis. They'd call me if it was taking a long time/going to be expensive. But they've now called to say they've fixed it (blown capacitor and faulty voltage regulator), but it took "ages" to find and want £180.

Don't know what to think...did they fix it in 5 mins and claim otherwise, or conversely, look a long time not knowing they'd be paid if they couldn't fix it? But then should I pay because it took a long time?

To get a perspective, any idea how much would Apple would have likely charged for such a repair?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Apple will charge the earth because (warning: cynicism ahead) they make more if they get you to buy new.

If they took it on a "no fix/no fee" they probably only spent time working on it when nothing else was in the shop, hence the yonks to fix. A competent shop with techs who work on Mac could have tracked the issue down relative quickly and repaired it with ease.

Remember that part of that £180 is (probably) also parts.

3. Blobby thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks.

I see you dabble in bits and repairs! When I yelped at the unexpected cost, they eventually suggested they might purchase it off me if I didn't want it. Have you an idea what would be a 'not having a laugh' price they might offer for this (it has no hard drive btw - I took it out (personal/financial files):

1.66 GHz core 2 duo intel
    superdrive
    1G RAM
    Has disks unused and documentation, box etc.

Bit worried about sending good money after bad if it goes wonky again.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I do. It's addicting, chasing down problems :p

In either case, have a look at ebay uk, searching on their completed sales. Figure an average range for your specs and condition, then subtract the cost of a hard drive. That will give you what you could get selling it on ebay.

They will offer you far less, because they need to subtract ebay fees and their cost of materials/labour, plus they need to make something on it.

If money's not tight, with a new one running £399, you may want to think seriously about simply getting new (or waiting until refurb minis show back up).

5. Blobby thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I looked at Ebay but I'm not registered - probably a bit difficult for you to grasp that ;) - so I can't search for completed sales. And what I can see isn't much help.

Changing subject: it's weird people elsewhere selling main boards for more than the computer! :confused: