Repair Disaster Please Read - Apple Shop Cardiff

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tylerboyo, Nov 13, 2007.

1. tylerboyo macrumors member

Hello all,
    havent been here for a while. Heres my story, ill try to keep it as short as possible, and would really appreciate some ideas of what i can do next.
    Also i took it to my local apple shop in cardiff south wales in the UK.

About 3 months ago my keyboard broke, The middle line, A - L stopped working, but CAPS ; ' \ and ENTER still worked fine.

I take it into apple about a month after th problem, and used an external keyboard in th meantime, as i had projects to finish.

Day1 - take it to apple, they said i would get my machine back in 4 weeks maximum, 3 weeks minimum, and that theyd contact me to keep me updated.

3 weeks and 4 days later, i ring them, and ask them whats going on, they said the parts had been ordered in, and i should get my machine back within 5 days.

2 weeks on, i ring them again, they said the parts had been ordered a few days ago, and that they wouldnt like to estimate how long it will be, because apple HQ are hit or miss with timing. i said id been told theyd been ordered in 2 weeks ago. They said they hadnt and i had been mis informed. GREAT.

2 weeks later, i ring them, they said my laptop was ready to be picked up. WHY THE HELL DIDNT THEY RING ME? They had had it for 2 days, and hadnt rang me, im always home in the day, and had no missed calls on my mobile. very annoying. Total time 7 weeks and 2 days in reapir.

Anyway im glad to have my laptop back. First day it is fine, 2nd say its fine. 3rd day keys stop working, cant login due to password. get external keyboard, as i have work to do. Go away for a few days, come back today, not working still.
    I ring apple HQ he suggests some things to do. Now they have rang me back and are arranging a collection on th machine to repair. They said due to the problems before they will do it asap, which i am happy with.
    But i am not happy with the service at the apple shop in cardiff.
    Each time i rang them i had to ring 2 numbers off their website(at computers - apple reseller) i had to ring each number at least 10 times to get through.
    What can i do?
    I plan on writing a letter to apple, documenting everything from taking my laoptop to them to phone calls, with dates etc.
    Is this worth doing? Or should i write to apple directly instead of the store.
    When the laptop was in repair for 7 weeks, i told a client i can do work for them in 5 weeks, giving apple a spare week just in case. I then had to call off that job, and due to them not repairing it properly am going to lose more jobs now.
    AAny help appreciated

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

There's not much Apple can do as it's not their store. Write a letter to the owner of the store.

3. isleofjib macrumors regular

if this is within your 1 year warranty or you have applecare, i'd suggest contacting apple directly at the customer service email on their website. from what i've read, they are usually most helpful in taking care of their customers. sorry you've had so much trouble and i hope you have good luck getting it resolved quickly.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've had major issues with that place as well, they actually sent my laptop off to England somewhere for no reason, and lost it.

It took several phone calls and Apple to slap their wrists for them to get themselves together. They still had the laptop for well over a month. :mad:

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

...but enough complaints, and they won't be Apple Authorized, and I can assure you their pocketbook will feel the sting in that...

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

And then Wales won't have a single Apple Authorized Retailer, and everybody in Wales will feel the sting in that.

Seems like a lose-lose to me.

7. djellison macrumors 68020

According to Apple.com there are Premium resellers in Bath, Bristol, Cheltenham and Chester. If you're in Cardiff, it's hardly the trip of a lifetime to the first three. You've got actual Apple stores in Solihull and Birmingham. Again - much much closer than most of the South West and Scotland.

I'm in Leicester - we have a Premium reseller, but it's utterly utterly tiny - and I'd rather take the trip to London for the Regents street store anyway - so you know that any issue, any product - there'll be a couple of people who can help you.

Suggesting that piss poor service should be tolerated just for premium reseller status is very wrong.

Doug

8. tylerboyo thread starter macrumors member

its 13months into a 3year warranty.
    I rang apple direct, UPS are collecting my laptop tomorrow, going to a company called group 8 who will have my laptop for 5-10 working days.
    I trust apples word over some little re-seller in an arcade, and have heard nothing but good things about repairs direct with apple, so im happy.
    Still not happy with apple store in cardiff, theyll be getting a letter, along with a complaint to apple HQ.
    All i can say is avoid the store in cardiff like the plague, i havent even bought anything from there, but now never will.

9. ag227 macrumors regular

sorry to go off topic but....
    im in leicester too and didnt no of a premium reseller, where is it? i noticed theres some sort of apple shop on london road near the train station, that the one your on about?

10. rhysjones81 macrumors newbie

Hello I'm one of the engineers who repaired your machine.

Hello Tyler Boyo,

I assume your referring to your macbook pro 15" on AT reference 109520
    This repair was not of the normal variety and heres the reason why it took so long.

First of all, all preliminary tests on your A to L keys worked perfectly and had no issues typing up anything I put, however, eventually this did start happening and we ordered you a new Keyboard as your jobsheet we would have provided says.

The fact it went wrong again suggests it has something to do with the known software issue with Macbook Pro Keyboards which Apple have now released two updates for and still not fixed completely, not our fault, our job is hardware issues.

When we ordered the new Keyboard we did not know that apple do not ship the insulating plastic which goes on the underside of your topcase to stop the logic board from shorting out and exploding with a new keyboard, (on some Macbook pro models they do), of course when removing the old insulation it tends to tear and the protection it once provided is compromised. Apple eventually sent us out the insulation at our expense as they did not view it as a warranty part.

So when we originally told you the first date your repair would be ready we hadn't factored in all the crap involved on the delivery of one small simple part.

Also when I tested your DVD drive it never failed after several thousand discs, thankfully though my Colleague got it to on his 33rd disc suggesting that this DVD drive was perfectly normal as on the odd occasion they fail even with good media, despite knowing this we replaced your drive under warranty anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to let the world know about your abnormal once a month crap repair which takes a huge amount of time to diagnose and repair correctly, I'm sure next time we will take it upon ourselves to mutilate your machine as much as possible as obviously taking time to make sure it gets back to you in the best condition possible (ignoring known software faults) is not appreciated.

next time try a company called Globaltech, they are really good and plug your bluetooth card into your temperature sensor port on the logic board.

Look on the bright side, if you had a Dell it would take 3 to 4 months to repair it. Wow Apple really do a bang up job despite their flaws.

11. macffooky macrumors regular

12. rhysjones81 macrumors newbie

All repairs are handled at Tewkesbury Gloucestershire, Apple requested the store be moved to higher profile location in Cardiff (Morgan Arcade), in order to retain Apple Reseller status we have to do as they say, this meant there was no room for the tech department in the new store and it had to move.

Turn around times are very high around the 3 to 4 week area because we cater for the entirety of Wales... Alone.

13. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Hey at least they repaired it. I just got my laptop back on Friday and Apple didn't repair a single damn thing.

14. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

Wow, so much for "the customer is always right." Did you think a response like this would help your business ? Maybe you should open up a "pointing the finger" shop ?

15. eyespii macrumors 6502

Wow - the fact that the tech is here trying to defend and justify the slow and mishandled repair speaks volumes about the company. Suck it up when you screw up, and take the blame yourself rather than pointing fingers. And yes - you guys did screw up by missing the estimated time frame for repair, and especially for not keeping your customer informed of the delay.

You're acting as if you did the guy a FAVOR for keeping his computer for 7 weeks, keeping the customer in the dark, and not even fixing the problem.

And 3-4 months for a dell repair? Really? I literally just got off the phone with a dell rep who is arranging an at-home LCD replacement for my XPS laptop here in China, even though the laptop was purchased in the US. The tech will come to my house and do the repair the day after tomorrow. That's a little quicker than 3-4 months no?

16. rhysjones81 macrumors newbie

Ok try reading the post again

Firstly the reason I have posted this is because the forum thread posted by "Tylerboyo" is horrendously unfair, 98% of the time repairs come in and go out fairly swiftly, and thats pretty much it.

There is no finger pointing, its facts, if fingers get pointed due to facts then thats just the way it is.

What it says about my company that I do post here is that I'm not afraid to speak about "mishandled" and by mishandled you mean out of our hands unable to change the course of destiny mishandled repairs.

Do you even know how authorized apple service providers work or do you just stab us in the neck any chance you get?

Quick run down.

You have a problem
    you give us machine
    we confirm fault
    we order new part from Apple
    they send part, we fit
    we verify repair
    we clean machine
    we give it back to you

multiply the number of times this procedure is carried out around 140 times and thats a months worth of repairs.

Now lets look at an example
    Fault is : Sad iPod icon - Generally a hard drive fault, takes about 2 minutes to diagnose max. 5 minutes to order, and print paperwork and a day to wait for part.

Fault is : Tylers Superdrive sometimes doesn't work - Between my colleague and I it took a whole week of testing before this thing finally spat a disc out with a media error.

Does that make this our fault? Supposedly so.

Problem is you can't judge people or a whole corporation because of the odd few repairs that go completely awry, whilst they kick out another 138 a month that went in and out within the quoted waiting times.
    Tylers repair as I said in the other post was a crap one and took forever to diagnose, everything went wrong, thats just how it is, go into PC world ask them the same about the PC's they take in, some will be a simple format, others will be a 12 year what the hell is going on with this thing.

17. rhysjones81 macrumors newbie

That technician is a moron, he hasn't confirmed the fault with your LCD from just speaking to you over the phone surely? If that is the case then he is guessing its your LCD, it could be the main board sending the wrong video signals, it could be the LDVS cable alone, it could be the inverter if your brightness is vacant and he's just going to bring a new LCD?

Unless there's a big crack in the screen there's no guarantee it'll fix it. I'm sorry but whilst a 2 day turn around time sounds great here it's not realistic and has potential to leave you with a failed repair more aggro and last but not least thats china not the UK.

18. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

You aren't helping your business here.

19. flashy-cat macrumors member

flashy-cat

pmsl

20. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

That hole is getting bigger....

While I agree that you can't judge a repair shop by one mishap, you can most certainly judge them by their response to a back customer experience. You're refusal to take responsibility for your customer's poor experience tells everyone on this forum a great deal about your attitude.

The picture you're painting with your posts isn't pretty...and the hole you're digging is getting deeper. Customer loyalty and confidence is shaken when you don't take responsibility for providing a satisfactory end result.

21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's just terrible, that techician is actually trying to provide customer service! :rolleyes:

Seriously, drop it now. If any store in the U.S. had a machine that long for a repair they would be burned to ground by angry owners. Seriously, seven weeks? There's nothing to justify a keyboard repair taking that long.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Which explains the 48 hours vs. 3-4 months then… ;)

23. donmei macrumors regular

Ignoring the service hassles. I'd say that if you depend on your mac for your livelihood, you should have a backup.

Maybee just a mac mini or a low end imac. But you definitely should have a spare. It sounds like it would have already paid for itself.

Don

24. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Isn't there an Apple Store opening in Bristol soon? Maybe Wales can get there repairs done there:)

25. rhysjones81 macrumors newbie

Perhaps

yes your right, I understood that when I posted the first response, but it is not the view of the company, its me and just me.

I find it absurd, its irritating and upsetting to have people publicly acclaim unfortunate events that would turn the tide of consumer values regardless of our side of the story.

I accept it was and still is a terrible repair experience, I looked back on the record of Tylers, its long, we cut it down several times. But half the correspondence he had with someone wasn't even us.

We spoke to him around 3 times, the rest must have been Apple customer relations, who add anything customers say to a case reference we have no access to.

I just feel the lack of knowledge of some people leads them to assume that we are the direct reason for a failure. Here it is not us at fault, yet we are blamed, and it irritates me that I work so damn hard each day to find this damning review on here pressing that fact in hard.

Also, as much as we would love to contact every customer about every aspect of their repair it is hard to find the time to, we have to work precisely and quickly, to get repairs done, its just not possible, the work load is immense but steps are being made to rectify this. Although any major changes in turn around times are normally reported to customers almost immediately, I do not know why this has not happened in this case, given that we spent a long time on this repair.

Regardless of all this I still believe as much as you may believe it is untoward and foolish of me to post this, it is unfair and uncalled for that Tyler post this account of an unfortunate one off incident.