Repair Disk fails (disk utility)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by flyrod, Dec 10, 2015.

1. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Here was a new one for me. A G4 mac mini suddenly wouldn't boot. We booted it on the install DVD, did Repair Disk from disk utility. It found some errors, said it repaired them, then we tried to boot it off the hdd. It still wouldn't boot. Trying disk utility again says it fails when trying to Verify/Repair the disk.

Is there any hope of getting data off this disk now? It won't mount in an external firewire drive. The disk shows up, but it seems the file system is corrupt. Before reformatting/reinstalling I thought I'd see if any of the experts here had any ideas. I've never seen this before...

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

You can get the data off by putting the drive in an external enclosure. As for the repair/verify failing my DLSD did that the other day, I booted into tiger and it worked fine

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

DiskWarrior. Versions before 5 come on disk (or can be burned to disk). ALL current versions are PowerPC/Intel.

4. flyrod thread starter macrumors 6502

flyrod

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried this; it spins up and a message appears that says it can't be mounted. Disk utility shows the drive, but the volume is greyed out and "Repair" gives the same failure message. Same thing in 10.4 and 10.5 Think I'd see anything different if hooked to an intel mac running something newer?

I'll see if I can find an old version of disk warrior...

5. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

You may need a commercial disk recovery utility like SpinRite.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it's down to that (DW can recover data too) then Data Rescue 3 might help. And that's Mac.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

TechtoolPro is another option. If one of the above options does not work, try that. If it really cannot be fixed by any, then you need a more invasive data recovery tool, like Disk Drill but at this stage, recovered files will probably have generic names (e.g. file00001, file00002) making going through them laborious.

8. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Thats good to know - just joined the :apple: world a few months ago so I often find myself still thinking PC.

9. flyrod thread starter macrumors 6502

flyrod

No joy. Would anyone with this software be willing to take a stab at it if I mail the drive?

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I PMed you.

11. andressh macrumors newbie

Hi eyoungren,

It looks as if you’re pretty knowledgeable with bootable USB’s, and hopefully you could help me solve the problem I’m having, when I start my McBook Pro from a DiskWarrior 5.0 bootable USB.

Once I go through the standard Disk Utility procedure to create a DiskWarrior 5.0 Bootable USB, the bootable unit displays as available in the “System Preferences \ Startup Disk\ Select the system startup you want to use to start your computer”, window.

When I boot my MacBook Pro 15” from the newly created USB, it correctly displays both, my internal MacBook Pro OS X, 10.10.5, as well as the DiskWarriorCD OS X. However, upon selecting the USB drive, the computer stalls and the USB’s, internal leds, shut down.

Any help in correcting this inconsistency, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrés

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Andrés, I'm sorry but I don't know too much about this.

You keep on posting in the PowerPC forums, but you have an Intel Mac. Surely, someone in the Intel forums should be able to help you.