Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
When I run Repair Disk (from Disk Utility) on my iBook, I get the message "incorrect number of threads". It looks like it tries to repair it, then it starts over, and I get the same message again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have also tried booting into single-user mode and running fsck. Every run tells me it made repairs. I never get the message that the HD is okay.

Do I have any other options before I wipe the disk clean and reload the OS?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've never seen this exact condition, but based on the symptons, I suspect a problem hard drive. If you have the ability, I'd back up the entire drive onto an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, reformat the drive, and CCC it back to the drive. One thing for sure, this is not an OS problem.

Are you having any performance issues?

xov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks. No performance issues, but I can't upgrade to Tiger because the installer can't get past the Disk Verification step.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'd take the symptoms at face value then and strongly suspect the drive itself. You could go the reformat route (backing up first if possible) but I have an idea you aren't going to get very far if Disk Utility can't verify the drive as it stands now.

xov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
I think you're probably right. How hard is it to replace the hard drive on a G3 iBook 600?

Edit: Ok, after a little searching, it seems that replacing the hard drive is non-trivial to say the least.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
what luck, i encountered this exact same problem last night on my iMac G5, Tiger would just fail to install and Disk Utility couldn't fix it... TechTool Pro just hangs when I try and scan the disk... I was just going to ask if the CCC idea would work, I'll try that soon. thankfully i have a spare drive that's almost big enough... this damn error didn't occur during disk scans before i tried installing Tiger.

and if it's the drive itself, well I have to go in and have my CD burner replaced as it's defective too, thank god for applecare.

xov, if you try ccc and reformat in the meantime, post your results...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think your install problem may be different, especially after you mentioned the defective optical drive. A friend recently had a big issue with a Tiger upgrade. The install would get about 30% completed, and then just stop, leaving his Mac only marginally bootable. Turns out his drive wasn't reading the DVD media properly. The installer is supposed to check the media first, but this apparently doesn't always work. I wonder what percentage of bad Tiger installs are due to this issue.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I had wondered about a DVD error, but this happens before it begins moving files, during the scan phase of the installer. SO I dug out my 60gb, purged some old files, and cloned over. Reformatted internal, and it seems to be working! Passes a disk scan fine. So I'm cloning the disk back over, going to try installing Tiger tonight when I get home :) XOV, if you can get another drive to clone to, this method should work for you...

xov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
rainman,
glad you got a clean scan. In my case, since I'm not seeing any problems yet, I think I'll just wait for awhile. This is my wife's computer, and she really doesn't care about getting Tiger. I'm afraid if the drive is bad, that wiping clean and reinstalling may actually create problems (if it installs at all).

Good luck on your Tiger install.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Try starting up from your original software Install Disk CD and running Disk Utility from there. You could also try starting up from the Hardware Test CD and running a full suite of tests. Good luck!! :)

aussie_geek

woodfordreserve

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
Not looking good for me...

I've got the same problem... A couple of days ago I started up my G4 iBook and it went to the main login screen asking for a login and PW. I didn't have one set, so I restarted and tried to create a new account using these instructions:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/159703/

Next, I rebooted and it took me through the initial video. I went through the first few steps, set up my network, but when I was supposed to be taken to the new account setup, it freezes. Then only thing I can do then is go back or reboot. After doing this a few times, I tried and archive and install from the startup disc (tiger), but it freezes on disc verification. I ran both disk utility permissions and repair. Permissions worked, but repair failed because of an "incorrect number of thread records". I also tried to reset the password using the startup disk, but there are no available users listed when my HD is selected.

I have a few questions. First, anyone got any suggestions for me other than a clean install, which I would rather not do until I try to back up some files I just put on there...? Anyone think I can use firewire to connect to my iMac so that I can get the files if there is no other option save a clean install? Thanks for any help.

JerryB

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2006
California, U.S.A.
Repair Disk isn't working

Long time lurker, but my first post here.

My 12" PB 867 (was) running 10.2.8. Couldn't get past the disk verification to upgrade to Tiger. Had exactly the same "incorrect number of threads" message. Repair Permissions didn't help.

DiskWarrior fixed it in one pass. It also cured the fact that the PB had been taking 5 to 10 minutes to cold boot and would frequently die when being trasported while asleep. I think it's possible this problem was also due to the same 'thread count' problem.

BTW, even though I downloaded DW off their website, I still had to wait until the DW CD arrived (mail) as I couldn't find any other way to boot the PB and run DW. The DW CD is bootable.

Tiger now installed and happily running on 10.4.5.

Happy Apple Computing,

Jerry

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
JerryB said:
BTW, even though I downloaded DW off their website, I still had to wait until the DW CD arrived (mail) as I couldn't find any other way to boot the PB and run DW. The DW CD is bootable.

Yes, Alsoft is a bit odd about this. I wish a bootable disk image could be downloaded -- they'd get a lot of sales from people who need this application in an emergency. As it is, you have to order the CD, and their shipping is kind of slow. So basically you need to keep Disk Warrior in your shelf arsenal.

The other option is to boot the problem Mac in Target Disk Mode, and run Disk Warrior on another connected Mac. Assuming you have two Macs, of course.

woodfordreserve

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
I ran Disk Warrior in Target Disk Mode and it was successful after freezing up only once. Thanks again for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.