Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Warrior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Whenever I perform a repair disk permissions with Disk Utility I get the following:

Code:
    Permission differ on "private/var/log", should be -rw-------- , th...
    ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/library/Preferences".
    (and the ACL line repeats like 50 times for several different "User templates/Languaje...").

Iit seems to me (and as stated in other similar threads) Disk Utility does NOT repair any permissions...if it lists all these issues and states that they ahve been repaired, Why do they show again if I perform a second Repair Disk Permissions right away?

I have Disk Warrior and was wondering what could go wrong if I use DW capability of reparing disk permissions instead of Disk Utility?

BTW - I'm running Leopard 10.5.2, with all available upgrades.

TIA

2. AlMac24 macrumors newbie

Don't do it - yet!

The ACL lines are a 'feature' of Leopard and you will see them whatever tool you use. Apple are aware of it and tell us not to worry.

If you are going to use DiskWarrior, be careful that you are using the correct, most up-to-date version which is fully Leopard compatible.

I made the mistake of using a version which isn't the latest, and I believe it messed up my permissions big time. If you look on the Alsoft website they say that there will be a version soon for existing users, so I'm hoping that will resolve the problem for me.

However if you do have the very latest version from Alsoft - then it should be ok. Check their website to make sure you do first!

3. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point.
    I have DW version 4.0 and Alsoft recommends you don't even run DW while under Leopard because of compatibility issues. They will have a free 4.0 > 4.1 update sometime soon.

Thanks...time to uninstall DW 4.0 and wait for the upgrade.