Repair Disk Permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrMinor, Nov 4, 2008.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I have just had my MBP for a few days now so this is all still very new to me.

What does repair disk permissions do? Can I hurt anything by running it?

2. acxz macrumors regular

Repairing permissions won't damage your Mac, it just takes a long time and makes it less usable while it's working. It can be used to fix some problems but some people (incorrectly) believe it's the answer to everything in the Mac world. If you're not having any problems, you don't need to repair permissions.

3. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I first heard about it in a thread that talked about missing clicks. Would it help something like that? What does and doesn't it help?

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

as files/apps etc are installed, or created on your Mac, they are issued with a set of UNIX permissions (read, write, execute, owner, group, other.)

at times, the file permissions may not be set correctly (often after a large software update, or installing large applications, built from many individual files.)

running repair permissions checks the file's permissions, against an install/package receipt to determine if the permissions are set correctly.

most of the time this is not a big issue. some people swear it helps, others will tell you that it's not necessary.

my explination is probably not 100% correct, but it's probably good enough to give you a basic understanding of what repair permissions actually does. (and no, it's unlikely to do any harm!)

more info here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452?viewlocale=en_US.

6. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

So it does not sound like it will fix missing clicks right?

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

8. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I click and it does not respond. This happens often when I am in firefox and want to right click on a link I have saved on my toolbar. It happens at other random times too though.