Repair Disk Without Original Recovery Discs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by livelikeriley, Oct 24, 2007.

1. livelikeriley macrumors newbie

Hello, I am trying to repair the main HD on my iMac but can't seem to find the original discs that came with the computer...I've tried the discs for my other computer (an iBook) and it does not work. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Have you tried booting up in single-user mode and running fsck –y?

-Restart your Mac
    -Push and hold Command-S while it's booting up
    -Once you're in single-user mode (black screen with text), type in "fsck -y"
    -Let it do it's thing.

If it found/repaired any errors, it will say ***SYSTEM FILE HAS BEEN MODIFIED***, or something along those lines. Run "fsck -y" again until it says "The volume _____ appears to be OK"

Type "reboot" to restart the computer.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it's a journaled file system, likely the -f (force) flag will need to be used.

Code:
    fsck -fy

4. livelikeriley thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'd actually already done that...no good (I'm trying to partition the harddrive for boot camp and it's giving me an error - and before I go through the process of backing up everything and re-installing, I'd wanted to try and just repair the disk...only to find out I don't have my orig. disks :( )

poo.

Mark.

5. slb macrumors 6502

This is exactly what you do.

This is a common error that's due to not having enough hard drive space to reorganize data on the disk to make room for the new partition. Unfortunately, you just have to keep freeing up space and trying Boot Camp until it works.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Get yourself an external hard drive. Use SuperDuper to clone your boot drive to the external. Clone the clone back to your Mac. Now you will have enough contiguous space to redo bootcamp.