Repair g5 LCS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OliverOSX93, Aug 14, 2012.

1. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

Okay. I recently got a G5 with a fried power supply (caused by leaking LCS) and to my surprise the CPU was pretty much untouched! (just a little contaminate on the tops of 3 of those little capacitor thingies. (not entirely sure what they do, but I'm 95% sure nothing bridged)

Will I need to replace the tubing on it (It seems to have leaked out the O-ring) and what coolant shall I use as a replacement? I already have some Arctic silver 5 for when I rebuild everything and I've got some alcohol in the post.

Finally, How do I actually drain the unit and refill it?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

a quick search of this forum using your subject title "Repair g5 LCS"
    turned up these results, have a read through them and then if you still have questions post back.

3. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

for a temporary solution on my g5 i just sealed the watercooling blocks back up with silicone and refilled the lcs with water and it is working well. Oh and my cpu cards where in quite a mess (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74509210@N04/sets/72157628902508561/with/6710800305/). and make sure you get the cpu cards in the same way round, or your fans will run at 100% all the time (and asd wouldn't run thermal calibration on my g5)

4. OliverOSX93 thread starter macrumors regular

You've just given me hope of this working! :D

Any idea on how to remove a partially stripped screw? It's the one connecting the power supply to it's cover.

5. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

well i had that a few times (was the screws holding the cpu cards to the watercooling blocks in my case tho), i just took a dremal and cut a slot into the top of them and unscrewed them with a flat blade screwdriver

6. OliverOSX93 thread starter macrumors regular

2 Problems >.<

Okay I've run in to a couple problems.

1) I can't find O-rings that are the correct thickness. Can anyone please link me to an online retailer?

2) I broke one of the screws that keeps the CPU boards attached to the motherboard (and lost a few others, but I can find those). Will it be okay with without every single screw? If not can you link me to some online please?

Thanks for your help :)

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Search this forum for "O-rings", there are several posts of people who have extras and offers to supply others in need.

8. OliverOSX93 thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone with o-rings for the 2.7GHz message me please, I don't want to go PMing random people.

And any help on those screws? Are they a standard size or proprietary?

Thanks again for all the help!

9. jezzy macrumors member

if you can post a pic of the screw with dimensions, I'll probably have what you need. I'm assuming the majority would be the same as a 2.5.. shame you don't have a 2.5, I also have o rings. as for coolant, standard computer liquid coolant your local pc repair shop sells is fine.

10. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

its the one that holds the psu to the metal plate right? those are the same size as a normal hdd screw, a hdd screw will stick out a bit but they work fine (i lost one of them and just used a normal hdd screw)