Repair help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ransomed!, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ransomed! macrumors newbie

I have been given a broken Macbook Pro that I want to repair to learn more about hardware. The model number on the back is A1226. The unit powers on, but the screen remains black.

Is this a motherboard issue or a graphics card issue?

If it is a graphics card issue will I have to replace the entire motherboard or is the graphics card seperate?

Where can I order either of these (depending on what the issue is).

Could the problem be something completely different?

Thank you so much for your help!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suggest you head over to ifixit.com they have troubleshooting guides.

3. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

Hook it up to an external monitor to see if that works, that way you can cross out options.

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

The graphics card is integrated into the logic board, so if it fails your only real option is to replace the logic board.

With that said, it could be the LCD panel, the inverter board/cable or the LVDS cable. The screen is black but if you shine a light at it and look closely can you see any video images on the display? If so then you're dealing with a backlight issue, which makes the inverter board and/or LCD more likely though a logic board could still cause this though that seems to happen much less.

If I were you I would use iFixit's guides to tear it down a bit and check for loose connections, you might get lucky and fix it by reseating a cable.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

What happens if you connect an external monitor?

6. Ransomed! thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thank you all for the super quick posts!!!

Ok, I have plans to hook it up to an external monitor as soon as I get a chance to go to my friends house.

I was planning on waiting to pick it apart until after the monitor test, however, I am getting a little antsy and ready to get into the internals.

ifixit.com sounds like a great idea. I am heading in that direction now, and I will also boot up and shine a light on the screen to check that as well.

Again, thank you so much!

If it ends up being a motherboard issue where could I get a replacement for a non-ridiculous price?

Finally, my brother in-law (the source of the macbook) said this model was upgraded to 4gb ram from the normal 2gb offered by apple. Is there a way to salvage the extra ram in this process?

Finally (pt2), I need a battery for it as well. Any suggestions on that???

----------

Update....

I just powered on again, this time with a pen-light handy, and the light didn't reveal any hidden video. The screen is completely black, but I can hear the hdd and motherboard whirring away.

7. cMacSW macrumors regular

Hooking up to an enternal monitor will help you narrow down the root cause, I have a MBP that has black display but hooked to an external monitor works fine. I suspect the video cable to the display as the culprit.

8. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Just realized what model this is, more than likely this will end up being one of the NVIDIA failures as this was one of the generations affected. Connecting an external display will let you know for sure though.

Typically for bigger proprietary parts I will order from PowerBookMedic, they have a pretty good track record with used Mac parts. I would guesstimate the logic board to cost $300-450 from them.

You can pull the RAM easily. Once the battery is off you can remove the RAM door/plate with 3 screws then pop your RAM out.

9. Ransomed! thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a guy in Atlanta who says he wants to put an a1260 board in my a1229. Will that work?? He said something about replacing the bottom "case" too. But I did some research, and the a1260 was a 15 inch model. Mine is a 17inch.

Edit: Thanks again to all who are helping!!