Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iajohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Well had an accident with the ipad and the screen was cracked. I didn't realise that Apple didn't repair screens (doh) But being an avid Apple fan took the damaged ipad to the Genius Bar but never got as far as telling the girl my name and appointment time and asked what the issue was to be informed that I had to buy a new ipad at about £290 that was with a discount. I informed the assistant that I was just looking to pay for a repair but was informed that was the policy. I told her that over the last 6 months I had purchased 4 IPads so I didn't want to spend that amount with which she replied well you have another 3 to use :mad: I was thinking of a new Mac since my logic board failed recently, but I think that I will be selling 3 IPad's 2 iPhone's ,Apple TV , airport express, extreme network and a MacBook Pro for spares. Very disappointed customer

Why do Apple not repair screens as is a refurbished unit not a repair

Last edited:

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
When I used to work for Apple (did some repair work), it was too much of a hassle to take open the iPad and do a screen-repair than just offer the customer another iPad at a discounted rate. Same thing goes for iPod - which is why they almost always offer you a replacement one than repair just the screen.

I think ifixit gave the iPad a really low repair ability score.

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
There are screen replacement options online. I've seen everything from a little over $200 to about $120 (us).

iajohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks, found a company in Stevenage that repaired and returned it in 3 days for £70

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

because they would have to peel open the enclosure, which lacks no screws, and getting it back together properly would not be quick or easy. Not to mention how long the replacement would take.

And if you take a close look at Apple's terms and conditions, they do everything in relation to the object in from of them. How much of whatever you have bought doesn't change your warranty. In accordance with appropriate laws. So frankly ranting off about how many years you have been a customer, how much money you have spent blah blah just makes you sound like a self entitled douche bag, and they rarely get any favors from any retail staff. Particularly when you agreed to particular terms when you bought the item

So frankly your threat would likely get a very nice "here let me hold the door open for you" from Apple

Oh and you better hope that shop didn't screw anything up cause if Apple figures out that you had the screen replaced they won't let you buy a swap. And don't have to. Those terms again.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
You can try to ask for a courtesy warranty replacement. Usually I have seen this not to work unless there are other issues with the iPad besides the screen. I had an iPhone with the headphone jack not working and my screen happened to be cracked. Apple swapped it as a courtesy not because of the screen but because of the malfunctioning headphone jack. I guess it just depends who youre genius is and if they are feeling compassionate.

manojh

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Well had an accident with the ipad and the screen was cracked. I didn't realise that Apple didn't repair screens (doh) But being an avid Apple fan took the damaged ipad to the Genius Bar but never got as far as telling the girl my name and appointment time and asked what the issue was to be informed that I had to buy a new ipad at about £290 that was with a discount. I informed the assistant that I was just looking to pay for a repair but was informed that was the policy. I told her that over the last 6 months I had purchased 4 IPads so I didn't want to spend that amount with which she replied well you have another 3 to use :mad: I was thinking of a new Mac since my logic board failed recently, but I think that I will be selling 3 IPad's 2 iPhone's ,Apple TV , airport express, extreme network and a MacBook Pro for spares. Very disappointed customer

For your problem, you could try for repairing at Dave's computer Inc they repair devices with life time warranty. Just go to this site http://www.davescomputersinc.com/ipad-repair-bridgewater-nj for scheduling repair and read more information for your query

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.