Repair issue with Mac Book Pro 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by furfing, Oct 24, 2018.

1. furfing macrumors member

Hello All,

My macbook pro 2017 is having the issue with the keyboard (double input for one input).

Apple told me they can replace it for free but the issue is "we need to keep it 3 days for the repair".

I tried to negotiate with them but seems it's impossible. There is no way in the world i can be without laptop for 3 days...

Do you have any suggestion on how i could speed this repair up ?

One day would be totally acceptable but not 3.

Thanks a lot

2. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

While being without a computer for 3 days sucks, 3 days is a reasonable time frame for a repair. You have 2 options. Make do with the keyboard issue for now or suck it up and wait 3 days to have it repaired.

3. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

It’s really no different when taking your car to the mechanic for a repair. You just have to make do while your vehicle is in the shop. Same premise here. Either deal with the keyboards issue or go 3 days without.

4. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

In addition to waiting 3 days for the repair, you're likely to go thru the same hassle again. You're aware of the ongoing problems with the 2016 thru 2018 keyboards?

5. furfing thread starter macrumors member

Actually the repair doesnt takes 3 days the tech explains to me that it takes only 1.5 hours to fix it... It's insane how apple manage their repair center...

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Do you have any suggestion on how i could speed this repair up ?
    One day would be totally acceptable but not 3."

Don't be silly about this.

You have a VERY expensive failure on your hands. If you had to pay for this, it would run about $700, because the keyboard itself can't be replaced -- the entire TOP CASE of the computer (case, keyboard, battery) must be replaced as a unit.

This will take some time. Might be a few days to get it done.

But Apple is going to do this for you FREE OF CHARGE.

And... you're complaining about it ....????

Your only other choice:
    Keep it with the busted keys...

7. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

For a problem they introduced in the first place! Nothing to be grateful about. OP has every right to "complain" cause of loss to his/her productivity.

By your logic, Apple could introduce an MBP with a ton of problems but announce multi-year repair programs FREE OF CHARGE and everyone should be happy about it and not complain.

8. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

He has every right to complain! He shouldn't have to go through this hassle with a laptop that's only a year old. "Expensive" yes, because his time is valuable. "Failure" yes, because Apple's 2016-2018 keyboard design is an utter failure. Adding insult to injury, the replacement brings with it the same poor design and will more than likely cause the OP to go through this headache a second or third time.

9. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

max wrote:
    "He has every right to complain!"

One can "complain" all one wants.

If it's going to take Apple 3 days to replace the keyboard/top case, that's how long it's going to take. They -might- be able to get it done sooner, depending on parts on-hand, etc. But the "3 day" time frame is given because the actual time it may take cannot be stated with certainty (i.e. "it will be done in 1 day").

What more can be said?

10. FlushedNotRushed macrumors member

Is there an improvement from the 2018 to 2017? I mean, there's a thread regarding the Butterfly Generation 3 KB But I'm not sure how bad it is compared to the 2017.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm debating between a 2017 or a 2018 15" MBP. 2017, I save money but deal with the worse keyboard. 2018, I get the new hardware (8th generation CPU, T2 Chip, etc) but have potentially an unfixed KB and problems occurring due to the T2 Chip (BridgeOS, KP)

11. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

If I needed to choose between the 2017 and 2018, it would be the 2018. Personally I would not buy either one because of the problems. It's why I chose to buy a 2015 last week. Here are two videos to help you make an informed decision:

12. FlushedNotRushed macrumors member

Ill give them a watch . I actually have 2015 13" but I was planning to give it to one of my parents as they don't have a laptop. I also wanted to take advantage of my EDU pricing as I am going to complete college within 3 months, thus I wont be able to access EDU pricing anymore. I just figured if there was a time to use it / upgrade, soon would be a good idea.

But from all the issues, I'll definitely do more research.