Repair Keychains

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sandman42, Aug 2, 2012.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

One of the user folders on my computer has a huge number of files in Library --> Keychains. About 60,000 files at .1MB each, for about 6GB. Something has to be wrong. She doesn't even use keychains, and that folder is the biggest folder in her whole user folder, by far. The keychain folder in my account is only 160KB.

I ran Keychain Access in her account (from Utilities) and ran "Keychain First Aid" in the utility, but it didn't fix the problem. Is there a way to manually fix her Keychain folder?

2. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

More info: something in her account (or the OS itself) is creating numerous (e.g a dozen or so) new keychain files every minute, each at about 101KB. I shut down all the applications in her account, and monitored the keychain folder for several minutes, and more and more keychain files were getting created. It's filling up my hard drive, and I need to make it stop (and delete the unnecessary files).

3. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I called Apple. They had me reset the keychain in Keychain Access, drag the superfluous files (about 65,000 of them) to the trash, reset PRAM, and it seemed to be ok. So far.