Repair Mac mail inbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumbleweed666, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I have a problem with my inbox, seems its corrupted in some way. I can see the headers, but no contents, cant delete or move message. All other folders seem OK.
    Its from a POP3 mailbox where the originals are deleted off the server when downloaded so I'd prefer to try and recover it but I can live with losing the contents if necessary. Any ideas? Is there a tool or way to repair? I have Time Machine but I doubt the TM backup will have caught these files between them being downloaded (they came in one batch) and being corrupted as it was only a few minutes. Not sure how I could tell if TM did catch them either.

Update; Impressive, TM did recover them, now I just need to work out how to empty the inbox of the corrupt messages. Worst case I can create a new email account but I'd rather not as configuring it was troublesome.

Second Update; Mailbox > rebuild, then move the messages from the TM mail recovered folder back to inbox.

Leaving this here in case anyone else hits a similar problem. Top marks to TM, my first use 'in anger'.

2. chuanist macrumors newbie

Similar? Losing e-mails

Every so often I will discover messages received the day before are not in the mail box when I open Mail the following day. Is anyone else experiencing this?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Mail sometimes is quirky. Try closing the window and opening back up or restarting the application.

This is why you really should use IMAP instead of POP3.