Resolved Repair Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SweeneyD24, Feb 9, 2014.

1. SweeneyD24, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Hi!

This morning I run CleanMyMac and i'm afraid while scanning, some essential files have been deleted.

So far, I'm having issues with these 3 apps.

-Mail won't display any emails in the preview pane and crashes when I try to open them.

-Messages won't open at all.

-Terminal won't open either.

-App Store won't open. (Edited)

Most of the app icons in Launchpad have disappeared. These are the apps that won't open. (Edited)

Is there a way to repair the OS and get all the errors fixed!?
    ..Or maybe restore Mavericks to its initial state?? (Edited)

Thnx!

2. SweeneyD24, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014

SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

I'm thinking of re-installing Mavericks. I heard that the installer for Mavericks will still be present, so no need to install Moutain Lion and download/re-install Mavericks

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The 10.8 version of CleanMyMac has been know to do that. You have little choice beside a reinstall(plus /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app from your backup)and upgrade that program to the 10.9 Version.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

CleanMyMac should be called "TrashMyMac" and I consider it malware from dubious developers who don't really understand OSx.

your only hope is to do a clean install. and never use that program again! ever. ever. ever.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend using CleanMyMac or any of its variants, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.
    Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

6. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Fixed!

I've been using CleanMyMac before, on my previous MBP and I must admit it did great freeing space on my 160GB HDD. Then again, I was on 10.6 and 10.7. I did not upgrade to 10.8, so did had a chance to use it. I used it only once on 10.9 and bam!!

I don't recommend it on Mavericks either, but it worked great on Snow Leopard and Lion.

I totally agree. I won't install any third party cleaning app, and like you said, Mac OS X doesn't need these anyway!

Anyway, I fixed the issue and just wanted to share it for those who might encounter the same fate later on.

You just need to re-install Mac OS X from the installer and that's it. No backup needed (though it's safer).
    After the installation, all your files, documents, movies, music, etc.. will remain untouched.

----------

Thnx for the reply. (Y)
    A complete re-installation fixed it!

----------

Yep! That's what i did! (Y)
    Working great so far!
    Thnx for the reply!

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I wish I had a dollar for every tale of woe that clean my Mac has caused, the boards are filled with posts and I just can't stress how bad it is. As GGJ says it's one to avoid. You don't need it, there are safer ways to tidy your Mac if you really think it needs it, but OSX does a good job of looking after itself. The only utility I very occasionally use is Onyx but this should also be used with care.