Repair macbook pro 2015 or buy new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paperclip777, Nov 6, 2016.

1. paperclip777 macrumors newbie

I have a 15 month old macbook pro that stopped working. Brought it to repair shop and am told the whole mother board needs to be replaced! I have no apple care, so I imagine we're talking $500+ for a repair.

So, option 1, repair it.

Option 2, just buy the new macbook pro with apple care this time.

What you think is the best option?

I'm thinking even if I repair, it may not even last that much longer...

2. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

What did you do to your machine? Normally MBPs last at least for 4-5 years.

The new ones start from $1499 for 13" and $2399 for 15", so consider that. Add Apple Care and dongles and the prices will add up quickly.

3. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Firstly you need to get an actual price for the repair, don't speculate as it might be surprisingly cheaper than you first anticipate.

If you do replace the motherboard then you should receive a full years warranty on the work carried out, but if you have reservations about how things will continue going forward with the MacBook after the repair then maybe your plan of buying new + Apple Care is your best option (you can always sell your old MBP as spares/repair on eBay).

4. paperclip777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I never thought about getting a 1 year warranty on the repair...

5. PaulWog Suspended

You could sell the current Macbook Pro as it is. Or repair it and sell it. Some options. Obviously the price you'd get wouldn't be as good as an issue-free Macbook, but a Craigslist ad that says this sounds fine to me:
    - "Just got it back from repairs. New motherboard installed by Apple. Certified working perfectly, like new, by Apple".

Hopefully the repair shop is an Apple store.

6. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

You may look at other repair options as well, I'm sure they will be MUCH less expensive than Apple

7. deany, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

You are not in the UK as you mention $?

We have a 6 year fit for purpose rule here. Anyway lucky us. Doesn't help you is you are in the States.

Do you have household insurance that you could claim on?, is it at all possible the board went from an accident previously?

We have two iMacs 21.5" 18 months old and the logic board went on iMac one -cost £600 covered by apple care but 10 day turn around.
    Never mistreated so these things can happen.

ps
    why do you say it may not last much longer? my rMBP 13" was bought exactly the same time. I'm having a few crashes with Sierra (hope this is ironed out) but I would expect 5 years use.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2016 ---
    Interesting you should say that as I was insistent on apple store repair with iMac but a week to see genius!
    Apple said their 3rd party company that does repairs were better than the store! I think he ment in terms of turn around time.
    Maybe the company they use are more gear towards repairs as its all they do. Not entirely sure.