repair macbook pro or get a MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Mar 22, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

A little while ago.. I posted a thread about my MBP getting run over by a car..
    (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=448620)

Since then.. it's been working fine, it's been on 24/7 since then and its still running great. Suprisingly.. no heat issues either.

It's spring break now, so I'm free from school and can take my laptop to repairs or, buy a new MB. I have used MBs a lot as well as my MBP and I find no need to have the MBP other than knowing I have a dedicated graphics card.. even though I dont really have a use for it.

It's sure nice to have BUT, if my repairs are going to cost more than $500, I'd rather buy a new laptop. What do you guys suggest?

From what it looks like.. (I've got pictures in the old thread... can take more if you guys want) I need to get a new bottom casing.. or maybe just bend it back? The superdrive still makes an eject noise, but I'm not sure if the drive is squished or just the casing. The main thing I'm worried about is the LCD bend. There's a bit of a bend on the top case that looks like something cracked inside.. or maybe just bent. Right next to the webcam, but the cam still works fine. The LCD works perfectly fine as well. Another big reason why I'm considering getting a new computer is because its the 1st generation macbook pros..

I know the best way would be to take it to repairs, but just thought I'd ask you guys first.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm thinking your repairs are gonna cost an arm and a leg since that is definitely not covered under Apple warranty. IMO, you'd be better off getting an MB and keeping the old MBP around just in case the new MB needs to go in for service. And for the love of Steve, take better care of your Macs... That poor MBP. Still a trooper after being run over :(

And if you're not picky, refurbs are cheaper especially considering you're probably on a student budget...

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Repair for this is $1200 flat fee. You decide what you want to pay. $999 to $1499 for a new MB or $1200 flat rate repair.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

sell the macbook pro on ebay. You'll get 500 or 600 or more for it. People pay plenty for broken macbook pros, even ones that don't turn on, so i think you'll get a good deal back for it that way...

If you have photos with it working and include everything you have for it, and are honest inyou description, someone will happily take it off your hands.... and you can use that money towards a new macbook.

Although the refurb macbook pros 2.2 ones are only 1449 now, so that's a great eal, you could stick with a macbook pro, better then the one you have now for the price of a new macbook.... or a refurb macbook are great too 2.2 for 1049 or so :)

I'd say sell that one and get a new one (well the other way around, but you get the idea)

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

referring to the superdrive:
    since its out of warranty, source a service manual and crack 'er open. Superdrives are easily damaged even from handling them the wrong way and have very small clearances. Slight pressure in the middle of the drive can damage it.

By chance it might have been pushed up, but that would stress other parts of the drive.

6. chris y. macrumors regular

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What I'd do:

1. Sell MBP on eBay.

2. Go to refurb section @ Apple.

3. Purchase refurb MB.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would think getting one of the refurbished (or new last-gen) machines are definitely cheaper than repairing.

9. VideoShooter macrumors regular

Buy a Black 2.2 refurb... throw in 4GB of RAM and you have a screamer... CHEAP.

$1049 for MB
    $100 or so for 4GB

I did it and love my blackbook.

10. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone..

I tried putting it on craigslist and so far, I've gotten one offer for $700 (though, it sounds a bit iffy) the rest are anything from trading an ipod - $400ish.

I doubt the $700 guy will come through, but, if he does.. I'll sell it, if not, I'll keep it.

I'm actually quite fine with the dents in the top LCD case.. (unless my screen goes out one day or something).. All I'm really concerned about, is the superdrive. If i could actually get a CD into the da*m thing, I'd keep the laptop, no question.

What gives me some hope is that it makes an eject noise, so I'm thinking it might still be working. Maybe just bend the bottom case out a bit and everything will work fine.. But then again I have no idea. I'm just really hesitant to open it because it maybe be so bent up that I wouldn't be able to put it back together..

Any suggestions?

11. CoffeeFiend macrumors newbie

My Suggestion

If I were you I would sell the computer. Even for $500. Its too expensive to try to fix it. You might spend another $800-$1,200 to get it fixed, also why go through all of the trouble. I also want the echo the previous post. There are such good deals out there on a factory refurbished computer through Apple.

This is the one I got.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle&src=frgl&aosid=p210&productLearnMore=FB063LL/B

Hope this helps!