Repair options for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tnsmart, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I bought a mid-2012 MBP (non-Retina) with the extended AppleCare warranty in July. Since then, I've had a couple things happen to it that I am hoping to get repaired and am looking for the best way to go about it.

First, a couple months ago, I was sitting at my desk working on my MBP eating lunch and managed to spill cranberry juice all over it. I cleaned it up as much as I could right away and everything was fine except that since then, my keyboard has been a little messed up. Some of the keys on the left side of the keyboard make a click or crunching noise when pressed down and a few take a while to rise back up. While the keyboard is still usable, this is very annoying. I took it to the Apple Authorized Service Provider at my school and they told me that rather than just replacing the keys, the board that they sit on would likely have to be replaced too. They told me that they would only repair it under warranty if, when they opened it up, there was no sign that anything had been spilled on it. I didn't pursue fixing it, partly because of the turn around time, as I use my laptop quite a bit every day.

Second, about a week ago, my MBP was in my backpack on a table, and my backpack somehow fell on the floor. This was the result:

IMG_4857.jpg

I took it to the service place again and they told me that it would probably cost $500-$600 to have it fixed.

Next Monday I plan to head to an Apple Store (about 2 hours away) and see if they can help me out.

Any ideas for how I should go about asking them to repair it or what I might expect as a response?

Thanks!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You will most likely hear no since Applecare does not cover accidental damage. However,Genii have been known to do repairs for free if you are nice, do not lie about the damage, and are a bit lucky. But do not expect it; you will probably have to pay.

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Apple will charge about the same even more if the motherboard show sign of liquid damage

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why do people throw away money on AppleCare vs WorthAveGroup.com insurance or even mediocre SquareTrade which is bounds better than AppleCare?

And how do you expect to get accidental damage fixed ever on AppleCare?

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Why do you say squaretrade is mediocre ? Did they do something wrong ?

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Looking at that, you'll need a new top case and display. Depending on how the MLB looks, you may need one of those too (just because it's working now, doesn't mean it hasn't corroded/wont stop working in the future).

In the UK, that'd be £400 give or-take (I'm guessing it's a 15" going by what they quoted), so about $600 after tax sounds about right (not including the MLB). For a 13", expect that to be around £300 ($450).

7. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

Because I often read about situations like this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17017000 on these forums and my own experience with AppleCare in the past has generally been positive.