Repair or buy new mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zyr123, Sep 29, 2014.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Warrenty just ended and my late 2011 macbook pro just got the gpu problem, they want 310 $ to repair it. do i do that or buy a new mac, or somehow convince them to give me a base retina pro.

2. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Well you certainly aren't going to convince them to give you a new laptop in this situation.

I forked over the $310 to repair mine and wont be getting a new one. I know the chance of it kicking the bucket again in about 3 or so years is pretty high but at that point I'll be able to upgrade anyway.

You could always have it repaired and then sell it on eBay to get some cash that you can put towards a new one.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

$310.00 is a lot less than the cost of a brand new MBP. It all depends on your financial situation.

Apple isn't going to replace the computer for free. It is out of warranty.

4. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got them to repair it for me for free. All is good. This Mac only needs to last me till the retina pro gets the 850 m graphics card.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sell it once you get it back and buy a new one. The repair is only kicking the can down the road. They're not correcting the issue, just putting in a new logic board, that board has the same inherent issues you're older one had, i.e., GPU failure is inevitable

6. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Pretty sure this isn't going to happen unless there is some kind of class action lawsuit and if it goes through and win, these computers will be too slow anyway.

----------

This is a good strategy.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

OP did get a free repair. Apple knows there is a problem but has not released an official statement. By the way, Apple has been known to release repair programs for up to 9 years after the ship date in the case of the iPod Nano recall.

8. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Misread that thanks. I'm glad it got repaired!

9. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

So am I. Very clutch. Hopefully it lasts till February. When the next retina pro update will probably be.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Clutch? To me that is a part on a car... :rolleyes:

11. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha no. Have you never used clutch as a adjective that pass was clutch. Our seats got moved to the lower bowl this is so clutch. Etc.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Oh the new terminology on the streets these days...