Repair or buy new mac

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Warrenty just ended and my late 2011 macbook pro just got the gpu problem, they want 310 $ to repair it. do i do that or buy a new mac, or somehow convince them to give me a base retina pro.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Well you certainly aren't going to convince them to give you a new laptop in this situation.

I forked over the $310 to repair mine and wont be getting a new one. I know the chance of it kicking the bucket again in about 3 or so years is pretty high but at that point I'll be able to upgrade anyway.

You could always have it repaired and then sell it on eBay to get some cash that you can put towards a new one.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
$310.00 is a lot less than the cost of a brand new MBP. It all depends on your financial situation.

Apple isn't going to replace the computer for free. It is out of warranty.

Got them to repair it for me for free. All is good. This Mac only needs to last me till the retina pro gets the 850 m graphics card.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Got them to repair it for me for free. All is good. This Mac only needs to last me till the retina pro gets the 850 m graphics card.
Sell it once you get it back and buy a new one. The repair is only kicking the can down the road. They're not correcting the issue, just putting in a new logic board, that board has the same inherent issues you're older one had, i.e., GPU failure is inevitable

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Pretty sure this isn't going to happen unless there is some kind of class action lawsuit and if it goes through and win, these computers will be too slow anyway.

----------

Sell it once you get it back and buy a new one. The repair is only kicking the can down the road. They're not correcting the issue, just putting in a new logic board, that board has the same inherent issues you're older one had, i.e., GPU failure is inevitable
This is a good strategy.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Pretty sure this isn't going to happen unless there is some kind of class action lawsuit and if it goes through and win, these computers will be too slow anyway.
OP did get a free repair. Apple knows there is a problem but has not released an official statement. By the way, Apple has been known to release repair programs for up to 9 years after the ship date in the case of the iPod Nano recall.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
OP did get a free repair. Apple knows there is a problem but has not released an official statement. By the way, Apple has been known to release repair programs for up to 9 years after the ship date in the case of the iPod Nano recall.
Misread that thanks. I'm glad it got repaired!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.