Repair or replace 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fender51, Mar 3, 2013.

1. fender51 macrumors newbie

My 22 month old imac logic board has died. No applecare. It will cost almost $800 to fix. What is your advice ? replace or repair?

2. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I would chunk it and buy a new Mac Mini for $600

3. fender51 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought of the mini. can I use the screen from the imac with it? Otherwise I would have to buy a monitor as well and the costs mount.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Are you sure it's the MLB, what's the problem?

5. fender51 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I took it to apple and that is their conclusion after taking it apart

6. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I'm inclined to suggest the same. A good few seem to be going that way; the Mini has come of age.

True, but the monitor should last a good few years. I am on my second Mac Mini, still using the monitor and speakers I bought in 2005 with my first. I will probably replace them later this year, but only because I am likely to be be moving about 11,000 km, back to my home country. The Mini will go with me, but I will chuck the peripherals.

7. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

still a new (non apple) monitor $300 + Mac Mini $600 thats $900 for a new system..

8. fender51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if I can use the monitor from the broken Imac? I can get a screen image but of course no program runs, i would definitly jump for the mini. But if I have to buu another monitor I will be paying about twice the pric of the fix. I have lost confidence with the Imac, sort of whats next?

9. fender51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Buyiing all over again in under two years is a little hard to take.

10. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

yes it is, I bought a used IMAC 24 in, and wish I went for new mac mini..I get the freeze screens and superdrive does not work properly, some discs it will reject for no reason..so when it dies, I will chunk it..