Repair or replace iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smirk, Apr 21, 2014.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hey guys, I have a 1 1/2 year old iPhone 5 that works great except that it recently got a mark that appears on every photo. It's not a scratch, the Apple Genius thinks it is a manufacturing defect inside the lens that just manifested. Apple doesn't have a repair for it, so my only officially-sanctioned recourse is to replace the phone for $269 (their out-of-warranty replacement).

I have a Square Trade warranty on this phone, though, which will cover a 3rd party repair or the $269 replacement. What do you think, is it better to take your chances with repairing an existing phone or take your chances with getting a refurbished replacement? The Genius did test my battery and said it's "like new", so that's good.

I'd value your thoughts. Thanks!

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can you apply the $269 towards a 5S or a gift card to later purchase a 6? :D

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think it's worth it just getting a replacement; you'll have better peace of mind knowing that you have genuine OEM parts, and the new phone should come with 90 day refurbished AppleCare warranty in case there happen to be any defects on the swap. Just my preference. Sent from my iPad.

4. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I would go with the replacement phone as well.

5. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Cool, thanks for the advice! It always helps to get other people's opinions. :)

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think refurbished phones are even better than new - they have a new battery, new housing and have been tested more thoroughly than usual. You get the odd lemon, but due to negativity bias you'll hear more people complaining about them than the thousands who find them to be perfect.

7. patt2k macrumors regular

How much did you pay for the phone that matters because if SquareTrade can't fix it they will mail you a CHECK or give you brand new iPhone.

if you paid 600$ and that is on the receipt you WILL GET 600$ CHECK.

Go with square trade.