Repair or Replace Ipod Touch 4G 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Avro, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

I have got a a 4G 64GB iPod Touch and have managed to crack the screen for the 2nd time in a year. :mad: Going to keep case on in future.

Options are:

1. Repair Screen at cost of €90
    2. Take it to Apple for replacement at cost of €190
    3. Buy a new 5G 32GB for about €230 (now I have an iPad, I don't need so much storage).

Which would be best?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Apple now does screen replacements for some devices at some Apple stores - check the price on that before going with a third party repair.

Unless you want/need iOS 7, it might be good to go with an inexpensive repair now and buy the next generation iPod.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Go with option 3.

4. Espeonia macrumors member

Espeonia

Go for the 5th gen; it'll be supported longer. Unless you have something to replace all of its functions, there's not much reason not to.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I bought my 5th gen refurbished. It's a great way to get the 64GB at the regular 32GB price, or get the 32GB at the 16GB price of old.

And yeah, don't bother with the 4G anymore. Used ones go for like $80 at the lowest now. Costs more to fix than it is to buy another.

6. CtlsMurari macrumors newbie

CtlsMurari

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

If everything else still works just put a case on it so it doesn't get damaged further and don't worry about it...cheers!

...what I did with my original gen iPod touch...

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

More choices:

3a. A new 5G 32GB for about €230 plus AppleCare+ for €59 (Two screen replacements in less than a year? AppleCare+ seems a safe bet.)

4. A used iPhone 4 or 4s. No problem running these as an iPod Touch, and they both run iOS 7 (but don't count on them running iOS 8).

Repair the existing iPod vs. buying new? How much warranty protection remains on the existing iPod? The difference in length of coverage may justify some of the higher price of a new iPod. Plus, the new one runs iOS 7 and likely, iOS 8.

9. Avro thread starter macrumors regular

Avro

I already have a 4S, but I use that mainly for work and it is only 16 GB. I tend to use the iPod Touch when I am out and about and in the car for podcasts and offline maps.

5G 32GB looks good.

I think I have learned my lesson with the Touch, the last crash was a bit of a freak and I will keep the Bumper Case on it in future (in the first one it dropped on the cobblestones which are everywhere here in Belgium). :(