repair or replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whimsicalseal, May 29, 2019.

1. whimsicalseal macrumors newbie

whimsicalseal

The screen on my 2012 15" retina mbp needs replacing, costing about 450USD. Otherwise its running fine - I'm using an external monitor to type this out. It meets my needs performance-wise (academic working with large databases).
    My question is should I put more money into extending the life of this aged machine or stump up another 1.5k and get the new 2019 15" mbp?

2. pika2000 macrumors 601

Yeah, the display costs quite a bit because they cannot simply replace the panel, the whole display has to be replaced.

But do you actually need another MacBook Pro? If a 2012 laptop meets your needs, maybe the new MacBook Air can as well, and saves you some money. That might help your decision.

3. Thysanoptera macrumors 6502a

The air will be slower, but a heavy discounted 2018 13 inch will be at least 40% faster than 2012 15'' retina. The only downside is that the available configs will have same or lower RAM/SSD capacity when compared to a 7 year old model.

4. whimsicalseal thread starter macrumors newbie

whimsicalseal

thanks for the advice - I was considering the 2018 air. My main concern is the keyboard and missing the screen size, performance should be ok from what I've read.