Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
My iMac has broken three times within the last two months. It has been repaired twice only to need to be repaired approximately two weeks later. I have a physical disability and am fairly dependent on my computer, my iPad can fill in for a lot of what I use the iMac for, but it isn't a replacement. As this is the third hardware failure in two months would it be wrong for me expect a replacement machine?

josielinnea

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Stockholm
What country are you living in / did you purchase your mac?

And when it was replaced, was it for the same problem or has your problems been different?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
What country are you living in / did you purchase your mac?

And when it was replaced, was it for the same problem or has your problems been different?

I live in the UK. It was a new computer when I bought it. The other two times in broke it was repaired not replaced. Is it reasonable for me to expect a replacement this time?

Jamsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
My iMac has broken three times within the last two months. It has been repaired twice only to need to be repaired approximately two weeks later. I have a physical disability and am fairly dependent on my computer, my iPad can fill in for a lot of what I use the iMac for, but it isn't a replacement. As this is the third hardware failure in two months would it be wrong for me expect a replacement machine?

What problems did you have with your machine? I have the same iMac as you and I believe that I'm suffering a similar predicament. What have you had replaced so far?

Last edited:

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
What problems did you have with your machine? I have the same iMac as you and I believe that I'm suffering a similar predicament. What have you had replaced so far?

The graphics card has failed twice, they think that there may be something wrong with the logic board, which is causing it, so they may change that this time too.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
The graphics card has failed twice, they think that there may be something wrong with the logic board, which is causing it, so they may change that this time too.

How would s logic board ruin 2 graphics cards??

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
How would s logic board ruin 2 graphics cards??

I have know idea, I'm just saying what I was told. It sounds to me that they are trying to fob me off with an answer when they don't know what the answer is.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Just call and ask if they can just straight up replace the machine considering that you've already had it sent in before.

Loono

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Did you buy Applecare?
And its usually after the 3rd repair that they would offer a replacement.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I just went through a 2 month ordeal with my 24" iMac. The graphics started going wacky and locking up the machine more and more frequently. I finally took it in just before Thanksgiving week since I was going to be gone anyway. They replaced the graphics card, logic board and display. When I got the computer back, the CPU fan would ramp up for no reason to over 3000 rpm with little to no load on the CPU. I was very busy and couldn't bring it in right away. I finally brought it in a few weeks back. They said it was probably a USB device I was using going bad. So I carried it back home and tried using it with just the Apple keyboard and mouse. I was able to make the fans race with nothing running but a Beatles video on the Apple homepage. They were throwing crap at me about flash this and that so i wanted to use something from their own page. So I brought it back in and they decided to replace the fan and temp sensor (the ambient temp reading would jump from 18C to 26C in one cycle and then back to 22...) About 4 or 5 days later they called and said it was ready. I went in and made them turn it on in the store. I did the same thing, went to their page and let the Beatles video play. Within a few minutes, the fan was racing with 3-5% CPU load. The tech asks if he can reinstall the OS. I said that's fine. He calls the next day and said it's still doing it. They thought it was a bad logic board so they wanted to replace that again. That was a few days before Christmas and I was upset because I wanted to get the computer with a blank OS back up and running over the long weekend. A few more phone calls checking for updates and finally on Tuesday evening they called and said I could come get a new computer.

You may need to be a bit patient, but Apple will make it right. Especially if you have Applecare I think. My 24" was just under 2 years old. I threw in the difference and upgraded to the i7. They were going to give me the base 3.2 GHz 27".

I did call Applecare at one point and they said if I wanted to talk to a supervisor they may decide to offer a replacement but I'd have to wait for it to ship. I decided to wait it out with my local store.

Good luck and I hope you are able to get them to replace it.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I'm still under AppleCare they want to try to repair it again hopefully this will be the last time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.