Repair Permissions doesn't repair

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ftbtef, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ftbtef macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently ran Repair Permissions on Disk Utility and there were quite a few errors that it said it repaired. I ran it again to be sure and it found the problems and "repaired" them again? What's going on? Also, at the end it always says

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I heard this is not a problem, but could it be the reason the other repairs aren't actually repairing?

2. ftbtef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know I can not worry about the SUID warning, but my real issue is why the other repairs don't actually repair when it says they do. Every time I verify permissions they show up again :confused:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In the vast majority of cases, repairing permissions is a placebo remedy for an imagined problem. Certain applications have novel permissions that repair permissions does not handle properly. It is nothing to worry about.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Even though many of the uninitiated think it is the the answer to all problems, generally speaking, repairing permissions is a waste of time. Particularly in the later OS's, when, as you have discovered, it can report loads of either unimportant or unreliable messages.

There is a school of thought that repairing permissions can do more harm than good and is best left alone. However, like most things, if you think it's doing some good - go ahead and use it!

5. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Those SUID repairs are like that. It started showing these messages when Leopard came out. Before then you wouldn't have seen them. So, stop worrying, but if if your still not happy, put your original install disc in and repair from the disc utilities which is is on the disc. Check out the apple discussions forum and you'll see old discussions about the same subject.

Cheers, Macjim.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Another placebo strategy. Permissions are not really repaired. A master copy of permissions settings is kept in the .pkg bundle for each software title in the Receipts folder. Each "repair permissions" utility copies the permissions settings from the receipt to the application. There is absolutely nothing magic about an original install disc in this regard. If no one has messed with your Receipts folder, then Disk Utility or any other utility on your hard drive will to the job equally well.