Repair permissions feedback

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sue.block, Jul 6, 2014.

1. sue.block macrumors newbie

I have an iMac version 10.9.4

Last night I did a repair permissions . A long list of repairs came up. Some of items relate to an iPod which I do not have. I was also wandering how worried should I be with the results of the general outcome

Sue

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's normal for there to be some repairs like that. It's also very normal for some things to not be repaired, but to always show up as having the wrong permissions.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

That's normal. If you don't like that, boot into the recovery partition and then do the repair.

4. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I repair my permissions regularly via the Terminal.app and there is always some stuff that went askew. No biggie. The real determining factor is if your Mac is exhibiting any wonky behavior. Permissions have to be WAY out of whack for that to happen.

I usually run the repair command several times in a row. A second pass often picks up things that were missed in the first pass. If you want to run it from the Terminal.app, copy/paste the following into a Terminal shell (window) and hit Enter:

diskutil repairPermissions /

The spacing and capitalization are critical which is why I recommend copy/paste.