Repair permissions questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Just did my monthly Repair Permissions. Today, for some reason, it took about 5 minutes. Usually this is a 30 second procedure. I noticed that there are about 10 items that end with "has been modified and will not be repaired." Things that end in "readconfig," "writeconfig," "runner," "DiskManagementTool," "Locum."

They all originate out of System/Library/PrivateFrameworks or System/Library/CoreServices.

What's that all about?????????

I do this monthly Repair Permissions routinely as suggested years ago.

Thanks.

Frank

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm not sure who suggested that, but it's not a "routine maintenance" task that should be performed.

I'm going to guess and say that you've installed some updates from Apple between now and your last permissions repair? That's why there have been permissions corrections to make.

Barring an intruder intervention, the only time that permissions can be changed is when you've installed something that requires an admin username and password. So, if there's ever a "good time" to repair permissions, it's after that.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>'m going to guess and say that you've installed some updates from Apple between now and your last permissions repair? <<

Yep!! But in all honestly, I would bet I get Apple OSX upgrades at least once/month if not more often, so wouldn't it be "necessary," or at least "suggested" at that point, or no??? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again.

Frank

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No Apple updates get installed on your computer without your interaction, e.g., entering your admin username and password.
    One could be compulsive and repair permissions after every Software Update run that installs something that requires an admin username and password.. but it's really no necessary. Permissions Repair is more of a troubleshooting step.
    So, you'll have to trust me, routine permissions repair is a superfluous action, as is log rotation if someone convinced you of that one too.

Of course, on the contrary..

You're not hurting a thing by doing it.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can compare it with running "fsck".

Sure, you can do it regularly and as Yellow said it can't harm.
    I perform these kind of "maintenance" tasks (fsck and permissions repair) after each Mac OS X .x update. Kind of a habit really...

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's usually the only time I repair permissions as well. Guess I'll be doing it again next month once 10.5.2 is released...