Repair Permissions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neowillendit, Oct 7, 2009.

1. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

First post, hello friendly macrumors users. I know Google is my friend and I exhaust it frequently but can't find any answers on this. After repairing permissions, the log will state that permissions differed for about 6 of the same apps/files every time I run the GUI. Examples would be the mDNSresponder and iWork that both have permissions errors and never get repaired it seems.

My question, is it normal for the GUI to not actually repair the errors it finds? :confused: I'd really like to have a clear log after running.

Thank you for reading and responding. :apple:

2. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Thank you for the info "sidewinder", but after searching the Apple page you sent, not a single one of my log errors are ones that are listed on the link as "safe to ignore". :(

I'm wondering, is there any way to get rid of these errors? Can I add my username to the folders of the files for "read/write" access so that the Disk Utility can fix the permissions for the file? :confused:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Reading permissions database.
    Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/QuickTime/AppleProResDecoder.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/Components/AudioCodecs.component/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .

Permissions repair complete

_____________________________________________________________________________

3. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

4. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

5. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

There is no problem and these are informational messages (does it say "error" or at least "warning" anywhere?), so ignore it. Similar questions have been asked and answered many times.

"It" is looking for files and finding links-to-files instead, likely because of reorganization. Apple may fix them in the future.

7. neowillendit thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit