Repair Privileges On External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cynicalone, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I managed to change the access to my external HDD, and can't seem to reset the privileges. Maybe this is something simple, but I don't know how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

If it helps it's a WD My Book mounted via Firewire. I'm using an iMac running OS 10.5.5.

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well i don't know if this works when you are connected via firewire but you can go to utilities folder and open disk utility. Then click on the left bar your external hard drive and then click at the right "verify" and then "repair" permissions.

Let's hope that will help you...

3. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The disk utility won't allow me to repair permissions on an external. Don't know how I changed it in the first place. The date is there just locked up.

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

How did you manage to get access on your external?By formating it?

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

When you say the data is locked up can you read but not write data to the drive?

Select and right click on the drive icon, Get Info>Ownership and Permissions>Details, click the lock and change the privileges, if that's the case.

6. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

What I ended up doing was Making a duplicate of the External. Then used an Unlock App, to unlock the duplicate. Then I formatted the external and copied my files back over to it.

I'd like to know how I changed the privileges in the first place so I don't do that again. :eek:

7. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

you cant. you can repair the disk if there are errors, but permissions are for the boot drive.