Repair Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dropmymacalot, Jan 19, 2009.

1. dropmymacalot macrumors newbie

I have a few questions regarding my macbook. I appreciate any help.

I am going to Germany soon to study, and I need my macbook ethernet plug-in which is not working. Wireless works fine, but I think I'm gonna need plug in over there. Although my mac is still under applecare, I sent it in and they said since there was evidence of "drop damage" (which there is plenty of let me tell you), they would charge me something ridiculous like $700 to fix it. I am sending it again and hoping to get a nicer techie, but I'm not too optimistic.

In addition to the plug-in internet, there are many cosmetic things broken such as the screen border (several cracks, almost falling off) and the right side of the long plastic piece where the screen hinges when it folds open, if that makes any sense. Basically, when I open the screen it flops around a bit because the right side of the hinge is completely broken.

All comments about taking better care of your computer aside, I'm looking for some advice. I am thinking about buying someone's broken macbook they fried through liquid keyboard pourage on ebay, which there are a few of. Would it be possible to strip all of these parts from the computer? I am particularly worried about this hinge piece as it seems like there are a lot of wirings and whatnot in it. If I can't do it myself, would there be any place I could take it? Any underground repair place that doesn't care about my warranty? I know many places won't touch your mac if it is under warranty (although mine is practically void apparently anyways). Or, how difficult would it be to replace these parts myself? Is the hinge piece even replaceable?

Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

2. hamzab macrumors 6502

Are you based in London? If so simply google Apple Macbook repair London and you"ll come up with heaps of results!