Repair quote. Battery Charging vs Logic Board - what's your take?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hankcah, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

So my MBP 2010 battery icon stated (Not Charging). It wouldn't work with just the AC power plug neither.

I did the SMC deal. Still wouldn't keep a charge.

Took it to a local Apple repair shop and wrote up a quote for "Diagnostics + MBP Battery will not charge nor will it run on AC power." - Great, glad we're on the same page I thought.

$100 for a loaner. $80 for diagnosis fee which will go towards the part between the battery and the charger cable. Which would be the part along the left hand side...

Get a call claiming it's the entire Logic Board which they have to send out to repair and will take 3-5 business days.

Quote is $490 parts and labor.

What's your take on this?

2. Laco macrumors 6502

Personally, I would try to get my money back and then I would go to an official Apple store to see what they think.

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Why would they refund the diagnosis fee? They've done the work they were requested. The $100 for the loaner might also be a deposit that you'll get back when you return it, but different companies have different practises.

If you are unhappy about the diagnose, you should take the computer somewhere else to get a second opinion. It's very likely though, that you will receive the exact same diagnosis, and will have to pay another a diagnosis fee to get it.

Personally I think, that their diagnosis is likely correct, and the price they quoted sounds reasonable.