Repair Return Shipping Weight from 3lbs to 7lbs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateharr, Apr 16, 2010.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

Hello all, goodmorning! (At least, in the US it is.)

I was wondering if anyone might be able to explain why my package with my Macbook Pro shipped to Apple as a 3lbs item and now, on it's return voyage the package now weighs 7lbs.

I was not notified of a replacement so I don't think that is it.

Also, if I remember correctly, the 13" Unibody Macbook Pro that I sent in weights approximately 4lbs. According to FedEx it was 3lbs when I sent it and 7lbs (3.2 kg) after "repairs."

Do repaired products from Apple come in heavy or extensive packaging? Is this a scale error?

I don't want to get my hopes up for a replacement, but it would be nice.

Thank you!

2. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Clearly there was an error when you sent it. How could the packaging and your laptop weigh less than the computer itself?

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Shipping weights aren't an exact science... I've had wildly inaccurate shipping weights before too. It's almost like sometimes people just guess or pull a number out of their heads... I think the first 10 pounds is 'free' and if they paid for it, more the better...

4. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. I figured the "3lbs" estimate was wrong, but perhaps the 7lbs could indicate a replacement.

Whatever the outcome is I'm sure it will be good. :D

The package was delivered, now I just have to go home.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Could be a replacement. Usually they don't care about recovering your old power supply since that is not refurbish-able and the new unit would include one. However, it should say "exchanged unit" or something when you track online @ Apple. If it doesn't mention it and says "repaired," then it's just an error.

6. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it says "product repaired." But it was repaired within an hour.

I guess I'll find out when I get home. I don't want anyone else opening the box.

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

applecare always tells me whenever the do anything to my machine. They always call and let me know whats going on. They would have to call you if they were giving you a replacement. I just got a replacement, and you have to sign a waiver of liability and some other stuff.