Repair turn around time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Dec 12, 2013.

1. marc55, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Couple of questions for you guys who have had to have you MBP's repaired.

1. Can the local Apple store perform all repairs, or do they have to send them out on the more complicated repairs like motherboard, etc?

If they repair on site, what is the usual repair time?

If the send out, what is the usual repair time?

2. If you decide to call Apple for tech support, and through their diagnosis determine it has to be sent in for repairs, what is the usual repair time?

Do they send you prepaid mailer?

Just trying to get some idea as to turn around time.

3. Lastly, is there any way to get an extended warranty past the 3 year AppleCare?

Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether the local Apple store can repair a particular problem depends on the specific problem. Turnaround time varies greatly, depending on what's being done. Some repairs can be done while you wait; others may require several days. If you can provide more details about the repair involved, someone may be able to give you a general idea.

3. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

I was hoping folks would chime in with what repairs they had done, and how long it took, as anything can go wrong on a computer like, Motherboard, screen, keyboard, SSD, etc.

My main concern is since we only have one computer, we'd like to know some usual repair times.

We're used to Dell on-site, where they send a tech out within two days

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really varies greatly, so you're unlikely to get much meaningful information from other people's experiences. For example, one person may get a battery replaced in 30 minutes at one store, while someone else has to wait a day at the same store or another store. There are so many variables, including how busy the store is at the time, which Genius handles the repair, availability of parts, how may repairs are lined up before yours, etc. One store may repair some things in-house that another store may have to send to Apple, based on the experience level of the Geniuses on hand.

5. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

I understand there are going to be variables, but some ideas are better than nothing. I know if I read a post like this, and I had a repair done, I would just give a brief description of the repair, where it was done, and how long it took.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I can tell you that the longest time I've heard of for a repair, barring something slipping through the cracks, is just over a week. Replacing a logic board is a fairly intensive and expensive repair, yet some are accomplished in a couple days, while others take a week or more for the same repair. If I had to guess an average turnaround time, excluding the extremes at both ends of the spectrum, I'd guess 2 or 3 days.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It truly does vary greatly. I've had my SATA cable on my older MBP replaced numerous times. Sometimes it's done in less than an hour, other times it's been overnight. It's also important to note that repairs on older models could take less time than newer models because of the design differences. Changing a battery on a new rMBP is much different than previous models.

I would say that if there are files that you can't be away from overnight, store them in the cloud. Unless it's a work or school computer, I can't think of much you couldn't live without while waiting for repairs. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. And this is coming from a completely plugged-in 20-something college student.

8. shootzkden macrumors newbie

shootzkden

logic board took a week here in Japan. the store i went to was jam packed shoulder-to-shoulder packed maybe thats why so long?