Repair wants an arm and a leg

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emir, Feb 20, 2012.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi everyone

I had a 15" macbook pro mid 2010 model with 320 gb hdd, 4gb rams and i5 2.4ghz processor. Recently it's lcd stopped working, apple logo would show up but no display after bootup. And when i plug in the dvi to a tv it showed everything correctly on the tv.

I didn't have warranty so i've brought it to a apple techical service in my area. After examining it they've called me
    Today to say that lcd is broken. They say macbook pros don't have lcd only changes, the whole lid needs to be changed including glass, lcd, isight etc. and they want 900$ for the repair. Half the price of a new one.

I've watched videos of mbp's lcd's changing on youtube. I told that to the guy and he said it can't be done. Once it's apart it's difficult to pull it together. They want a lot of money and i don't know what to do.

Please help me i am really desperate here.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The cost of a display assembly is approximately $750. $150 for labor is not unreasonable, so you aren't being cheated.

3. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

4. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

But why are they changing the whole lid. Apple logo shows up, while plugging the dvi for a second it the display comes alive. I don't know if it's reasonable to pay that much to an almost 2 year old computer which started to slow down.
    Give me advices and whatnot i'm really desperate here. This shocks my economy.

5. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

See my last reply
    PS that won't work if you have an antiglare display

6. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

One place i've called has a 2nd hand display assembly. Selling that for half the price. Should i go for it? 380 bucks instead of 750. Are there any major cons to it? I need urgent desperate advices, thank you all in advance.

7. css136 macrumors member

I suggest you take your laptop to an Apple Genius Bar. They will look at your laptop for you, then recommend the best repair. They will tell you how much the repair costs.

This way, you can be 100% certain you aren't being cheated.

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

The $900 price is half for the assembly and the other half for labor and shipping costs since they have to ship the assembly from China over.

Of course you can replace it yourself, but if you are not careful, there may be small issues like dust on the screen after assembly or scratches, or wobbly edges, etc... it could be a million things.

I think you should let Apple take care of it. I think that if you are asking this, you are not really ready to undertake this repair all by yourself.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Everybody who is not a complete fool and reads the guide will manage. That isn't rocket science. Many people are treating such stuff as if it was soo complicated. Everybody that doesn't suffer from Parkinson can learn to disassemble such a notebook.
    You need the right tools some care and save a huge amount of money.

10. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

lol just because the quote is coming from the company that made it doesn't mean you aren't being cheated.

11. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Take it to the Genius Bar, a lot of times Apple will give flat rates for repairs that would normally be covered under AppleCare. Its worth a shot.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I know many people who should not even think of attempting such a repair (and most of them wouldn't dream of it). Removing the glass over the screen alone is a dangerous procedure if you're not incredibly careful, and could result in serious injury. It's not for the faint-of-heart.

jW

13. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

Thank you all for your answers.

I don't live in usa so we dont have genius bars or official apple stores here. I'm in turkey and what we have is premiu resellers. I think i'm gonna go with the 2nd hand display assembly cause it's 2011 model, not that old and it's less than half the price, plus i don't have to wait 3 weeks. Do you see any cons with this? Places i bring it in to are all with official apple certificates and with appropriate knowledge so don't worry. Even we don't have ape we are not that much of a 3rd world country :)

Also if i had genius bars i wouldn't even have started a thread here. Apple has great support system. Wish they were here officially. They have everything here officially, everything but stores. They just give somethings like franchises called premium resellers.

Hope they have plans to come in here.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Agreed! That being said, that glass is SURPRISINGLY flexible. I replaced the LCD panel in my 13" MBP, and, when pulling the glass off, I got it bending to nearly a 45° angle and it didn't feel anywhere close to breaking. I couldn't believe it.

OP, I imagine the cable itself is as likely to be the issue as not. As long as it isn't a logic board (ie, motherboard) problem, the replacement screen will fix it.

15. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I must point out that a Certified Apple Service provider is bound by Apple's repair procedures which means the LCD cannot be separated from the glass and whatnot. Some repair centers may be willing to perform non-apple supported procedures for out-of-warranty models; but others will not.

People used to always try to get us to perform repairs with parts they bought from eBay or whatever. Obviously we don't want liability over shoddy parts, and therefore would only repair using Apple provided parts (excluding RAM & Hard Drive for non-warranty repairs/upgrades).

Honestly I wonder if it is actually the LCD panel that is bad. Did the problem occur right after opening the laptop or adjusting the lcd? Personally I would check all possible connections.