Repaired 27" iMac... Display is awful

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pictures, Feb 10, 2012.

1. pictures macrumors member

The hdd in my iMac was failing and the optical drive was broken. Still covered under AppleCare, I took part of the day off work to take the 1.5 hour drive (plus paid the $4 tolls) to take it to the nearest Apple Store earlier this week.

I happened to mention that there was a gray smudgy band running along the bottom of the display and they said, "oh we'll replace the screen, too.)

They managed to fix it by the next day and I went all the way back today to pick it up.

But the screen is awful, way worse than what it was. There are big smudgy swaths of gray. There is a vertical white line running down the right side, and it has widened and become two lines. And the bottom of the screen looks yellowish to me. :eek: I'm a photographer and artist, and this is totally unacceptable.

Also unacceptable is making another two or more trips to get the thing fixed. What can I do?

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

That sounds like a horrible experience. Lugging a 27" iMac around is not easy. Apple saves a lot of money on shipping by having customers bring in the iMacs. The good thing for the customer is the faster (typically) turnaround. I suggest another applecare appointment and check out the display with the techs before, and after, they fix it. As much as you may just want to get out of the store, it is probably a good idea to check out the computer with a tech before you leave to ensure it is fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck!

3. pictures thread starter macrumors member

I understand. It's just not easy for me to get to, it's not like I've got nothing to do all day. It takes several hours there and back.

It's pretty obviously visible, I'm wondering how they missed it.

This is probably the last iMac I'll ever buy.

4. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

Have you tested it in store and accepted the reparation, taking the iMac with you back home? Rather silly move, I'm sorry to say :(

----------

I think that you have failed to check the reparation, it's also on customer's side to care about the reparations. If you really have high standards you should always double check the work done by somebody else on your tools!!!

5. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

I had to take my 27 inches in last year. As the prior poster suggests, I looked it over before I accepted it. They had crunched the glass in one corner so obviously I didn't accept it back so they fixed it again. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and take it back.

6. camardelle macrumors 6502

My 21" iMac was my first Apple computer so I had them set it up inside the store before I lugged the monster out of there. LOL I wanted to make sure it all functioned as intended before I got it home.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you don't want to take it back in call AppleCare and they'll send you a box. Turnaround will take longer but you won't have to go back and forth if you don't want to go the in-store route.

As others said, if you do go the in-store route, always test your computer before you leave. Hard lesson to learn, but now you have, and are wiser.

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I would bite the bullet and bring it back to the Apple store for repair again.

9. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Looking at it in the store would not have made a difference, as it turns out.

I put the computer to sleep and went off to do something else. When I came back later the screen was great, except for the yellowish tinge on the bottom portion. (see attachment, the shade of gray is not accurate, but you'll see what I mean). The problem shows up after the computer has been on for awhile. I'm also hearing a strange noise that I would never have heard in the store.

I have tried a number of times to get them to send me a box, they won't do it.

Is it really that big a deal for me to expect to not have to make several long trips to get service?

Attached Files:

10. hiimharry macrumors newbie

On the surface, no, that is not too much to ask. However put yourself in the tech's shoes. You yourself mentioned that the problem only happens when the computer is on for a while. They could have thought the issue was cosmetic and after replaced the HDD and booted the computer, they figured it was "fixed".

I would call the store, not AppleCare, and talk to them. Explain the situation. Be reasonable and they may be able to work something out, however ultimately, you will need to make the trip back to the Apple Store to get it fixed.

11. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not blaming the tech or the store. I am frustrated that I have so few options for getting service. I am angry with my own self for buying a computer that is such a pain to service.

Before you ask, this is NOT my first Mac, not even my first iMac (that one is still working just fine).

12. hiimharry macrumors newbie

I can understand that. They are a pain.

Have you checked to see if there are Apple Certified repair centers around you? That might be an option.

13. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Yes, of course I checked. They even say Seattle is closer than Tacoma. And it is, as the crow flies. For lack of wings, I need to either take a $20+ ferry ride or drive around, through Tacoma and more than twice the distance. Seriously, many hours out of my busy day.

Rather than having me send the computer back, they are willing to send a tech from Seattle over to my house to fix it. Which is a different kind of a PITA. But I'll let him/her come.

I've noticed that the vertical white lines are actually a burning in of a window that happens to be in that area. They don't appear if nothing is there. I've moved some icons into the area to see what happens.

The smudgy black swath of shadow is much less visible on lighter backgrounds, and virtually invisible on a white background.

I ran some yellow tinge tests and I see definite yellowing on the bottom third to half of the screen.

There is a tiny black dot near the center of the screen. By itself, not a huge problem.

14. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

Are you sure you don't have problems with your electrical system at home?

15. pictures thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't know that for sure. But the display was fine before it went to the Apple Store. Now, after a screen replacement it is blotchy, has one area where stuff ghosts or lingers or whatever you call it, has a tiny dot (of dust?) in the center and has a yellow tinge. Is that something a problematic electrical system would cause?

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your power would have to be pretty messed up, and even then I doubt that is how it would manifest. When you say ghosting, when are you experiencing it? Ghosting isn't something you should experience just dragging Windows around. Sometimes it can affect gaming or video playback, but even that has become almost a non issue in recent years. The yellow tinge is most likely a quality control issue. Displays panels aren't inherently perfect, but there are things they can do to even them out a bit. It just makes the display design a little more complicated. I'm going off a number of personal tests and comparisons, and white papers on how manufacturers have dealt with these issues.

17. pictures thread starter macrumors member

hi thekev, thanks for your response. If you look at the photo I attached you should see a vertical white line just to the left of the circular blotchy thing. It turns out that this was caused by the edge of an open browser window. There is also a very faint outline of a folder that had previously been in the area. That's what I meant by "ghosting".

Doing some experiments - every folder left in the vicinity of the big blotch leave an impression after it is moved.

I must say that the display appears to be improving somewhat. I can still see the splotchy thing, but it seems a bit less prominent. It still looks yellow at the bottom, and that is a problem.

18. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

I suggest: return it, get it fixed, check it in store (you can bring animals inside the stores, I don't see a reason why you can't plug the iMac there and let it run for 1 h or so...) and be happy with it ever after. :cool: