iPad Repaired iPad screen but still beat

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VenusianSky, Jun 1, 2014.

1. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I shattered my iPad 3 a couple weeks ago. Bought an iPad Air, so I am good. I decided to try to replace the screen myself, so I purchased one of those replacement kits on eBay for $20. Well, I did the repair today and to my surprise everything works. However, it was not a fun job. The plastic seal is ripped up a bit from removing the old screen and the adhesive is not working too well in the bottom left corner. I tried to get as much dust off the screen as possible, but there are still some microscopic pieces left that aren't distracting. I don't know what I am going to do with it. Probably not worth wasting my time putting it up for sale on eBay. Gazelle pays $65 for a broken iPad 3 AT&T 32GB. I wonder what it is worth now, if anything different.

Anyone else do a repair with similar results? I guess I can at least say that it is in better condition than before. The screen was completely shattered.

2. joplinG5 macrumors member

That's pretty much the result I get from the cheap kits... The mid frames get badly nicked up and the adhesive never holds nearly as well as the original.

If it now works well... consider your efforts a huge success. A cheap rubber bumper case will hide the flaws and help secure the screen. Getting $65 from Gazelle is basically like throwing it in the trash. You should be able to get at least triple that for it on Craigslist even with the cosmetic issues. Most folks will look past that as long as it works.

3. VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Ok, so it sounds like the results are what I should expect. Thanks for the tip about the bumper case. That is a good idea.