Repaired Logicboard; Processor Downgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezsobre, Oct 28, 2011.

1. ezsobre, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

ezsobre macrumors member

So i took my computer in for a logicboard repair to what seemed like a reputable authorized apple reseller. Late 2008 Macbook Pro 15-inch CTO with 2.8 ghz processor.

Picked up the computer today, checked system profiler, and the systems at 2.66 ghz, a package not available until later models.

My repair people said they'd never seen this before. They explained that they replace the faulty segments of the logic board, rather that replace out the whole board.

Is there a non-shady explanation for the downgrade, or are these people up to something?

FWIW, here's their web site's description of their service:

"We operate our own logic board repair facility. We identify the specific components on your logic board that were damaged, and we replace those components"

2. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

What makes it shady is the fact they had a grammar mistake. Apple almost never makes those mistakes :)

Never had a problem with my servicing though. Only thing that's happened was a faulty mouse with an old iMac.

Is it an apple reseller, premium reseller or apple store? Hope you're not in China or somewhere equally dodgy.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

The situation does sound a bit dodgy to me, typically when a logic board fails it is replaced with one of the same type containing the same processor.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hmm that is a bit fishy, i work at a AASP and i am a ACMT. Those Logic boards actually have the CPU's attached to the motherboard they are not able to be removed.

It is very possible that they have ordered the incorrect part and will not admit to it, if they have ordered it in correctly - apple will not accept parts that have been incorrectly ordered and someone will be charged for it most likely the AASP

I would be going back in there and telling them when the MBP came in it was a 2.8 model and "ever since" you replaced the motherboard my computer is now a 2.6 Ghz.

Or to save the drama, boot of your System DVDS and check system profiler if it says 2.6 there then your operating system is reporting it correctly and it isn't a software glitch.

5. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback.

Spadoinkles--Its not an authorized apple service provider. I misspoke. Its one of those mail-in repair shops, they're based in the Washington, D.C. area and have generally good reviews and reputation.

Toolbox--I ran system profiler when i booted up the computer, but not off the startup DVD. The shop has the computer now, so I can't check, but are you saying its possible that a system software glitch could explain the 2.66ghz, and that using the OS X DVD could reveal a different answer?

After confronting the folks at the shop with the system profiler and evidence that my computer was a CTO with 2.8 at point of purchase, they took another look and are saying that the motherboard in their is the one linked to my serial, and that it has a 2.66ghz chip. So must they have somehow put a 2.66ghz chip on there? Would switching out the board entirely have altered the serial number?

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Assuming S# and UUID are MB specific, I would:
    1)Call Apple, explain the situation, and ask them for the Serial Number (can't remember if this is on the order form) and UUID for your system.
    2) Check that against the serial number / UUID for your repaired machine.
    3) Call Apple again if the S#'s don't match and see if you can get the specs for the new MB (you may be able to do this online)
    4)If the shop refuses to make it right, contact a lawyer to find out your options.