Repaired permissions and got this weird error!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoobsPro, Dec 1, 2009.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a MBP and its doing what many others are doing with regards to 3 and 4 finger gestures. One minute it works the next it doesn't. I thought I would repair permissions as I haven't done it since I got the MBP when the 13" was first released. After repairing quite a few 'wonky' permissions I get the following message:

===== Display starts at offset 1,008,617 within file of length 1,136,617. ====
    ===== Use File->Reload (Cmd-R) to display more. ====
    2009-11-29 13:54:37 +0000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    2009-12-01 13:04:08 +0000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

What the frig does that mean? I did edit a 'hostfile' the other day could it be related to that and/or do I need to worry?

EDIT: By the way 3 and 4 finger gestures are working again after repairing permissions!

2. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I was surprised by the lack of initial interest on this, then I found this, which I'm guessing everyone else knows about? :D

3. rowsdower macrumors 6502

SUID is a way for a user to execute a specific program with different privileges than he or she would normally have. It can be dangerous because if there is a bug in the program it is sometimes possible for the user to execute something else with the escalated privileges. It looks like Apple officially set SUID on those files, so it is safe to ignore the warning.