Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Hi All,

I have a problem that seems to be consistent with inverter board failure on my 23" aluminum cinema display: top 1/5 of the screen dim and a blinking power light—1 short, 1 short, 1 long.

I found the part online for $99.00 http://www.welovemacs.com/9225581.html.

Has anyone done this repair themselves? Is it risky for someone who is pretty handy and has some electrical experience? Also, could this issue be anything other than a failing inverter board? I should note, btw, that this issue sometimes goes away, especially if I shut down and unplug the system. However, it is getting more frequent, and seems to be an issue more often than not these days.

Thanks

-P

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
wow nevermind this may be tough to do -- I can't seem to figure out how to open this thing up. Any links?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Been searching for a possible manual for the VESA wall mounting kit because they have to have at least some info about how to get started in taking that thing apart. Haven't been able to find anything but maybe you'll be luckier in your searches.

If you don't care about damaging the exterior in the process since it is possibly broken (well, first look into seeing what Apple will charge to "fix" it or replace it with a refurb. It might be pricey but something to consider as exterior damage plays a role in whether or not they will charge much, much more for the repair), I would probably start by trying to pull the white plastic sides off of it with either some flat plastic (like an iPod take apart tool) tool or just a screw driver running it along the seams. I wouldn't be surprised if those are just held on with glue or tabs, but otherwise have absolutely no idea myself.

Also, try looking at the stand. Maybe the VESA thing is done by just removing the stand somehow though still might give some insight on what to do from there.

I would guess that if it is done that way, with the display at either one end of its tilt or the other there may be a screw that is exposed on the bottom or top of the stand near where it enters the display.

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks. I'm going to take it in to Apple tomorrow to at least get a proper diagnosis. Maybe I can squeeze some disassembly directions from the "Genius" while I'm there.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Thanks. I'm going to take it in to Apple tomorrow to at least get a proper diagnosis. Maybe I can squeeze some disassembly directions from the "Genius" while I'm there.

I would put money on that he doesn't know how to take it apart any more than they know how to take apart an iPod. Since that isn't a normal repair, and in fact is most likely something they don't even do in house (as with iPod/Phones they give you a replacement, and send off the old one somewhere else to be refurbished or recycled) I would guess that because of the lovely no visible screw design they do the same for the Displays as well.

There is generally a flat rate fix for Displays as long as there is no physical damage. Just like they do for laptops in which they charge one $200+ fee to fix anything that is wrong with it, even if that includes a logic board which can be individually priced at over $700.

As with the reason for the iPods, I'm curious to know if they actually fix the display or jsut send you a replacement new/refurb model instead. If you follow through with the repair, check the serial number!

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
quote from Apple is $483. I'm going to continue to use this monitor until it goes 100% belly-up then purchase the NEC Spectraview. I'm quickly falling out of love with Apple's hardware—first my Powerbook logic board 3 times, then Macbook pro issues, then Mac Pro issues, and now this cinema display. For a premium price, I think we deserve better QC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.