Repairing 3rd gen iTouch..Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KSUWildcatFan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. KSUWildcatFan macrumors newbie

I was replacing the frame/digitizer on my wife's 3rd gen iPod Touch 32gb and the prongs that the home button makes contact with when pushed..snapped off. If I touch the metal piece with something else that's metal (or with my finger), it responds just as though I've pressed the home button. However, the home button itself will not work because it can't make contact. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of options I have at this point..

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Jordan

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you can solder, try soldering them back on. I think other people have done similar things with a similar fix.

3. KSUWildcatFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, the prongs are gone. When they broke off, they fell somewhere onto the carpet and I can't find them. :(

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You might be able to make some out of some narrow gage single core wire. If you look are for some pictures for the general size and connections you might be able to get it working again. I'm not sure how long the wire will last, but it's worth a try.

5. devils punchbow macrumors member

Just use your finger then. Have fun with it. It gives the device more character.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They would charge him the price of a new iPod Touch. Because he broke it.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I know.

9. KSUWildcatFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the worthless suggestion. I think I'll try Intell's suggestion, but thanks anyway for wasting everyone's time.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Sorry for trying to help, you're welcome.

11. KSUWildcatFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Why in god's name would anyone take an iPod in for repairs when the cost to replace would be the same? Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a new one? I fail to see how your suggestion was at all helpful. Sounded much more sarcastic than helpful as far as I'm concerned. Thanks anyway.

12. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

You dont know that it'll be the same cost, cause they might fix it.

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

We took in a 1st Gen Ipod Touch because the Home button wouldn't click.

They offered to sell us the same model refurbished at about a 10% discount from what you could buy a refurb unit, but we had to give up the old one.

This was last summer just before the 3rd Gen came out.

14. KSUWildcatFan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll figure out some way to fix the home button, or I'll jailbreak it and download the home button app if all else fails. It doesn't make much sense to replace when nothing else is broken.

Ugh, electronics.

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

How much was that?
    I guess.

16. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

It was last summer. I want to say it was around $100.

However, they would not sell it to us unless we gave them the old one and would not even sell it to us at a higher cost... said they were only allowed to use them as replacements for warranty exchanges and, like ours, out of warranty replacements for a fee...

IIRCC, it was late June and I figured the new ones would be out soon and we would replace it then, (but we didn't) and the button started working again somewhat (at least usable) until this week...

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Hmmmmm....

18. iMichaela macrumors member

iMichaela

I say wait until the iPod Touch comes out in September. That way you can have all the new stuff. :)

19. theman24 macrumors member

Wow!! You argue over the stupidest thing. Any anyways having the home button broken is just like having no ipod at all so Intell's suggestion does make sense.

20. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

That was the plan, but for some unknown reason it started working again. Now a year later we're back in the same boat... waiting.

(FYI, it's my youngest son's. We have another one in the house, that is my oldest son's but he never uses it, so it will probably see more usage.)

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Cant wait!
    Look whos talking....

22. FallenAnjel macrumors member

How about tinfoil? (aka aluminum foil.. different people call it differently)

23. KSUWildcatFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. So much for that iPod.. I tried a small piece of aluminum foil. At first it seemed to work great. Then I went to push the new frame/digitizer fully down onto the board. Apparently something shorted out, because now the iPod is completely unresponsive. It doesn't do anything even after I plug it in. I held it close to my ear and I hear a slight buzzing.

I tried hooking it up to my computer and my computer said the USB port was experiencing a power surge. I assume the iPod is now completely broken.

Lovely.

-Jordan

24. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

:D XD

25. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I was waiting for someone to comment on that. XD